Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2003, 10:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help with bad hair algae outbreak

I am having major hair algae issues for about 4 weeks now.
I have added 25 hermit crabs and I have about 8 snails in a 55 and hasn't helped. I have cut back on my feeding. So I don't know of any added nutrients. I run a protein skimmer and a HOB refug. I have done partial water changes but it didn't seem to help. At first there was a red bubble type algae on my glass but after water changes Hair algae has now taken over and is getting worse.

Looking for some good advice!

Old 12-11-2003, 12:07 PM   #2
steve-s

These types of algae issues need to be manually removed as much as natural. The crabs and snails will simpley not be able to cope if too long. If you keep it closely cropped to the rock, the "crew" will be much more affective. Using a new toothbrush, you can simpley wrap the bristles in the hair algae, twist and pull. This also help in not spreading the alage further.

Usually these types of algae are due to higher nutrient as well as phosphates. Have you tested for nitrate and phosphate and are you using RO water for top offs and changes...?

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-11-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive noticed the same issue !! and after doing 5 gallon water changes everynight it seams to grow faster !!! using ro/di water and all test coming out good !! wondering if sweetwater which all fish love to eat might be the issue for me due to they get 2 tsp everyday of this !! cutting back on the lighting but not helping !!
Old 12-11-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

also why would it grow in the main tank and not the fug with the lights on 24/7
Old 12-11-2003, 09:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

are yopu using ro water. i did weekly waterchanches sucking up as much algea as possible. how long are your lights on for may have to cut back on your photo period. * snails = not enough i would have atleast 25 30 and a couple of big turbos they mow stuff down good. may want to try a lawnmower blennie
Old 12-11-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
wondering if sweetwater which all fish love to eat might be the issue for me due to they get 2 tsp everyday of this !!
Sweetwater

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-12-2003, 09:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My lights run for about 11 hours. I use regular water for my changes and top offs. My nitrates are fine according to scale but I do not have test to do phosphates. My condition seems to be getting worse.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...565&in_merch=1

sweetwater ?!?!?
Old 12-12-2003, 11:18 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_16157
I use regular water for my changes and top offs.
If by regular water you mean tap water, you should definately test for phosphates. It is one of the major causes of green algaes as well as many other impurities that tap water can introduce.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
ive noticed the same issue !! and after doing 5 gallon water changes everynight it seams to grow faster !!! using ro/di water and all test coming out good !! wondering if sweetwater which all fish love to eat might be the issue for me due to they get 2 tsp everyday of this !! cutting back on the lighting but not helping !!also why would it grow in the main tank and not the fug with the lights on 24/7
Once algaes of this type have a foothold, they need very little to keep going. I have had tanks that have zero's across the board and the algae continues to grow. It does not seem to spread to new area's after that though. Manual removal combined with natural critters are the best combination. Get out your toothbrush!!

Cheers
Steve

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com