Help with bad hair algae outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skip_16157

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am having major hair algae issues for about 4 weeks now.
I have added 25 hermit crabs and I have about 8 snails in a 55 and hasn't helped. I have cut back on my feeding. So I don't know of any added nutrients. I run a protein skimmer and a HOB refug. I have done partial water changes but it didn't seem to help. At first there was a red bubble type algae on my glass but after water changes Hair algae has now taken over and is getting worse.

Looking for some good advice!

These types of algae issues need to be manually removed as much as natural. The crabs and snails will simpley not be able to cope if too long. If you keep it closely cropped to the rock, the "crew" will be much more affective. Using a new toothbrush, you can simpley wrap the bristles in the hair algae, twist and pull. This also help in not spreading the alage further.

Usually these types of algae are due to higher nutrient as well as phosphates. Have you tested for nitrate and phosphate and are you using RO water for top offs and changes...?

Cheers
Steve

ive noticed the same issue !! and after doing 5 gallon water changes everynight it seams to grow faster !!! using ro/di water and all test coming out good !! wondering if sweetwater which all fish love to eat might be the issue for me due to they get 2 tsp everyday of this !! cutting back on the lighting but not helping !!

are yopu using ro water. i did weekly waterchanches sucking up as much algea as possible. how long are your lights on for may have to cut back on your photo period. * snails = not enough i would have atleast 25 30 and a couple of big turbos they mow stuff down good. may want to try a lawnmower blennie

scuba_steve said:
wondering if sweetwater which all fish love to eat might be the issue for me due to they get 2 tsp everyday of this !!
Sweetwater :?:

Cheers
Steve

My lights run for about 11 hours. I use regular water for my changes and top offs. My nitrates are fine according to scale but I do not have test to do phosphates. My condition seems to be getting worse.

skip_16157 said:
I use regular water for my changes and top offs.
If by regular water you mean tap water, you should definately test for phosphates. It is one of the major causes of green algaes as well as many other impurities that tap water can introduce.

Cheers
Steve

scuba_steve said:
ive noticed the same issue !! and after doing 5 gallon water changes everynight it seams to grow faster !!! using ro/di water and all test coming out good !! wondering if sweetwater which all fish love to eat might be the issue for me due to they get 2 tsp everyday of this !! cutting back on the lighting but not helping !!also why would it grow in the main tank and not the fug with the lights on 24/7
Once algaes of this type have a foothold, they need very little to keep going. I have had tanks that have zero's across the board and the algae continues to grow. It does not seem to spread to new area's after that though. Manual removal combined with natural critters are the best combination. Get out your toothbrush!! :wink:

Cheers
Steve

If you can find a urchin that fits your tanks size they can really clean up the alge in a hurry. I had on in a 26gallon and returned it when the alge got back under control. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom