Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
help with bristle and fireworms

i just bought a tank from someone i found on craigslist and got a good deal. 2 problems kind of infested with aiptasia coral and has at least one small fire worm and 5-6 bristle worms that i saw during the day! if i see this many in the middle of the day i think there must be a ton in there. The aiptasea is getting rid of by peperment shrimp that im getting tomorow.

so will the bristle worms and fire worms cause problems with corals and fish , if so how should i remove them. i prefer diy solutions thanks.

johnatbhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hah just killed the fire worm. i decided to take the little live rock fragment and dump it is some fresh water sure enough when i pulled the rock out he was curled up in a ball. I dont like to kill things, i am a vegan who loves animals, but lol i dont want it killing things that i like

johnatbhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I consider bristleworms a great part of my clean up crew and have never removed one. They will come and go with the ebb and flow of food....
By the way, peperments aren't guaranteed to eat aiptasia.....
I use this to kill mine:
NanoReefing.Com :: View topic - Aiptasia Killer
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Along with peppermints you'll need to use something to dispatch the larger ones. I used Joe's Juice. My wife found Joe's Juice squirted into the live rocks while in a bucket drove the bristleworms out of hiding and into the bottom of the bucket.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I know I have some bristle worms in my tank but as mentioned above they are good janitors. As far as the aiptasia here is a good article

FantasyReef Databases-Viewing item "Aiptasia Removal Methods"
melosu58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a bi-color psydochromis about a year ago because it was a cool looking fish. He immediatly ate most of my bristle worms. He is also the ruler of my tank, which is a bad thing for me because I can't add anymore fish to my tank. He's a real terror. I read up on him and was sure he was a safe fish to add...My Bad!!! you can't believe everything you read.
OOPS! stop ranting....

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com