Help with Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water978

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gal tank I;m setting up for a reef environment. I have a canister filter and just bought a protein skimmer that works in a sump. Can I run one hose (the intake) from my main tank and run the other hose (the outflow) into the sump? I want to set my sump higher than the tank so all the little cocapods can live in the refugium and flow slowly into the main tank. Does this make any sense? Will this work? I'm so green!

If you use a hang on the back overflow for the fuge to return the water to the main tank, or some other gravity fed (rather than siphon fed) device, yes it should work fine.

Thanks

Thanks. I've had a FW tank for years and finally converted over to SW a few months ago. I've read lots of books, etc. before setting up this tank, but still seem to know nothing. Any help is always appreciated.
Is there something specific I should be looking for for a gravity fed devide?

Water,

Dont count on the canister filter to maintain the water level in either tank.

An over flow device keeps the water level constant in the tank it is located in.

Is you skimmer designed for "in sump" only? What kind is it?

A turbofloator 1000 is what I am looking at. It's for use in a sump. I don't own a skimmer yet. Do you have any suggestions? I started out thinking I would only need a few additional pieces of equipment to convert over to SW. It's just a small tank. This project seems to be getting bigger and bigger though and I'm strapped for cash. Any help is appreciated.

Dont count on the canister filter to maintain the water level in either tank.

If you think about it a second, the tank takes the place of a traditional sump and the fuge the tank, the cannister is simply the return pump for the fuge, it just filters the water before it gets there. intake in the lower tank, output to the higher tank, hob oveflow to return the water, it should be as reliable as any tank/sump set up ;)

thanks for the confidence. I wasn't sure if I was thinking things through correctly or if it was a "poor mans attempt at plumbing using one less pump."

I did not mean to provide you with misinformation, I didnt realize that you were implimenting an overflow devise.

Whare in Mass are you from? I am from Agawam just west of Springfield.

Back
Top Bottom