Help with chaeto sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonessurf

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to change my sump to house chaeto. I have a trickle system now with just a protein skimmer and bio balls which I have been slowly removing. They are also almost gone. I want to make a tank from an old fishtank because the sump systems are just out of my price range. Any suggestions? Also, is this a good idea or bad one?

It's 58 gallons, but the only problem is I'll probable only be able to get like a 20 gallon refugium to fit. Which I was going to section off with plexy glass and glue for aquariums.

If you can get a 20L tank you can make that your new sump/refugium adn ditch the wet dry. A 20L is 30" in lenght which should give you plenty of room for a filter sock intake section, refugium in the middle and the return pump in the last section. if you plan on doing a diy project you might as well go all the way. :)

Just a thought. Theres a ton of threads on here where people made their own sumps outta a regular ole tank by siliconing partitions.

I am going to figure this one out. I'm a little restricted on size and I probably couldn't get a 30" tank in there. When partitioning out the sections, anything I make sure I leave a section for? Like I know I need most space for the chaeto, and I have a protein skimmer and chemi pure.

This is what I've come up with so far. I still have to work on the overflows. I had the overflows too high at first. So I need to re drill them but that makes me only about a 9 inch deep tank, if that.

Attachments

• image-488742710.jpg
    image-488742710.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 125
  • image-3240319909.jpg
    image-3240319909.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 118
All done. And spent only 50 bucks too.

Attachments

• image-1359779984.jpg
    image-1359779984.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 121
The bio balls I'm actually slowly getting rid of like a dozen at a time. Since I have over 100 lbs of liverock in my 58 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom