Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help with filter cleaning

I've got a pleated fiber filter cartridge for my tank. Like the kind you might find in a jacuzzi or pool. I use it for my mechanical filtration. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean one. Someone told me to soak it in bleach overnight, rinse it with a high pressure hose, and then dechlorinate it overnight. I'm a little scared of bleaching something that is going to go back into the tank. Does anyone have experience with this??

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would do a normal water change and rinse the filter out in the waste water.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of filter did it come from? If it is a pleated bio-wheel do not clean it at all. It is there to grow bacteria and not filter out chunks. If it is the actual filter membrane designed to get the chuncks, Just do a water change. Reserve some water fro your tank and put the filter pad in a plastic bag with the water and shake it around.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is not a bio-wheel. It is just a pleated fiber filter kind of like a pool filter. It sits in a canister and is really just for particular filtration. Although, I guess it does grow bacteria and is a biological filter as well. I wasn't really using it for that however.
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
Old 08-04-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does the company recomend for replacing the filter?
Old 08-04-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is actually made for pools and jacuzzis, so there are no instructions about aquarium maintenance schedules.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

There will no doubt be bacteria living on the filter so you have to be sure that you have more than enough biological filtration by other means before you disinfect it. The safest thing would be to use tank water.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaning, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com