Help with lighting ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK I want to up grade my lighting , But dont know which way to go after reading all of the lighting post ! I have a 180 gal. tank Should I go with VHO , MH or PC ?? I would like to stay around the $600.00 range or less ?

Greetings.

If you don't plan to have corals that need a lot of light in the future, go with VHO or several NOs.

If you do plan to have corals that need a lot of light then go with MH or several PCs or a combination of both, depending on your tastes.

A MH/VHO combo is probably the best way to go to insure that you can keep anything you want to in there, but it won't be in the price range you specified. I think you can go with a VHO system from Champion Lighting and stay under the $600 mark though. I just set up a 180 with four 160w VHO tubes and it looks good. Although I don't have any personal experience keeping SPS corals, Champion has a 180g in their lobby that has the same VHO system on it that's full of SPS and they say it's doing great. Check out their site @ www.championlighting.com . You might also check with Micheal Prater (an advisor on this site) about MH systems from ebay. He might be able to hook you up with a MH system that will stay within your intended budget. If you decide to go VHO, I strongly recommend using Icecap ballasts.
Logan J

I agree with the above posters on the VHO only system.

Champion Lighting VHO retros

You can pickup a retro 4 bulb VHO for about $500. retro means that it doesn't come in a "hood". It is made to fit an existing hood system by just replacing the "guts" of it. It's easier just to make a canopy though.

If you want a hood then it will probably cost roughly $200 more.

[/url]

If you are planning $600 and under, you will definately want to choose the MH/VHO or MH/PC option. All VHO or All PC, will not give the good lighting effects and UV for any future light demanding corals and reef material.. I suggest going for the gusto on the first try, rather than trying to upgrade later because you want to keep more demanding specimens. It will be more expensive if you have to re-buy in the future. This is just my experience.

I would definitely agree with timbo. Don't think about what you "need now" but think about what you'll "need later" if you think you may wish to expand what species are in your tank in the future. What your talking about here is the difference of a few hundred dollars for sure, but if you get a $600 setup now, then decide you want some wicked corals that need a lot of light and will need a new setup that costs $900... thats $1500 rather than just spending the $900 the first time.

JMO always think ahead... especially in terms of finances :eek:)

hey i know micheal prater was also looking to get rid of a hamilton set of pc's. i think it was like 4 96 watt pcs in a hood. check that out. because you could easily add two or three metal haliads to the inside of that. pm him and ask if he still has it.

Although I'm sure the MH with PC or VHO actinics is the best system, and I admit to having never used MH, this tank looks pretty good. It's the 180 at Champion Lighting. 2 URI 160w white actinics and 2 URI 160w actinics on Icecap ballasts. I guess it really depends on what you want to keep and how much you can really afford to spend. If I could afford it, I'd go with the MH combo. If not, I'd go with this.
Logan J

Logan, if that tank is lit up by 640 watts of light only, that is a heck of a lot of light for only 3.5 watts per gal..Wow...

You'd be surprised how good this system looks. I'll get some pics of the 180 at the eyecare center...it has the same system. I know the MH system would be better but, being very used to operating on a tight budget, I wanted to offer some ideas that fit the budget that was posted.
Logan J

Well it depends on what you want to keep, figure that out and we can advise on the best lighting. For a budget of 600, if you can't find MH on Ebay, you may be able to DIY for that, but with the budget, you'll have to stick to PC or VHO. As for champions pic...I saw some LPS lot's of softies and some very hardy SPS (M. digitata) which is known to be very acceptng of lower lighting, and also has a very nice habit of coloring very well under VHO. There are many SPS that can be grown under VHO and PC, even at the wattages suggested.

Hey logan...champion giving you a commission ? :)

but hey, that is where we bought our lighting too and we are happy with it.

Well...I do get wholesale pricing due to the coral farm/aquarium maintenance thing I have going 8O . I guess I like their attitude too...they're always very patient with any questions I have and they do what they say they'll do. I just believe them to be a reputable retailer which is the biggest reason I recommend them.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom