Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2003, 01:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help with lighting ????

OK I want to up grade my lighting , But dont know which way to go after reading all of the lighting post ! I have a 180 gal. tank Should I go with VHO , MH or PC ?? I would like to stay around the $600.00 range or less ?

Old 05-02-2003, 03:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to roadster3043 Send a message via MSN to roadster3043 Send a message via Yahoo to roadster3043
Greetings.

If you don't plan to have corals that need a lot of light in the future, go with VHO or several NOs.

If you do plan to have corals that need a lot of light then go with MH or several PCs or a combination of both, depending on your tastes.

JuanMa
roadster3043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 05:56 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
A MH/VHO combo is probably the best way to go to insure that you can keep anything you want to in there, but it won't be in the price range you specified. I think you can go with a VHO system from Champion Lighting and stay under the $600 mark though. I just set up a 180 with four 160w VHO tubes and it looks good. Although I don't have any personal experience keeping SPS corals, Champion has a 180g in their lobby that has the same VHO system on it that's full of SPS and they say it's doing great. Check out their site @ www.championlighting.com . You might also check with Micheal Prater (an advisor on this site) about MH systems from ebay. He might be able to hook you up with a MH system that will stay within your intended budget. If you decide to go VHO, I strongly recommend using Icecap ballasts.
Logan J
Old 05-02-2003, 10:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another good lighting site is www.hellolights.com.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree with the above posters on the VHO only system.

Champion Lighting VHO retros

You can pickup a retro 4 bulb VHO for about $500. retro means that it doesn't come in a "hood". It is made to fit an existing hood system by just replacing the "guts" of it. It's easier just to make a canopy though.

If you want a hood then it will probably cost roughly $200 more.

[/url]

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
3 x 250W MH 10K and 2 x 165W VHO Actinics
mulron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #6

If you are planning $600 and under, you will definately want to choose the MH/VHO or MH/PC option. All VHO or All PC, will not give the good lighting effects and UV for any future light demanding corals and reef material.. I suggest going for the gusto on the first try, rather than trying to upgrade later because you want to keep more demanding specimens. It will be more expensive if you have to re-buy in the future. This is just my experience.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:32 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I would definitely agree with timbo. Don't think about what you "need now" but think about what you'll "need later" if you think you may wish to expand what species are in your tank in the future. What your talking about here is the difference of a few hundred dollars for sure, but if you get a $600 setup now, then decide you want some wicked corals that need a lot of light and will need a new setup that costs $900... thats $1500 rather than just spending the $900 the first time.

JMO always think ahead... especially in terms of finances )
Old 05-02-2003, 03:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
hey i know micheal prater was also looking to get rid of a hamilton set of pc's. i think it was like 4 96 watt pcs in a hood. check that out. because you could easily add two or three metal haliads to the inside of that. pm him and ask if he still has it.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:48 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Although I'm sure the MH with PC or VHO actinics is the best system, and I admit to having never used MH, this tank looks pretty good. It's the 180 at Champion Lighting. 2 URI 160w white actinics and 2 URI 160w actinics on Icecap ballasts. I guess it really depends on what you want to keep and how much you can really afford to spend. If I could afford it, I'd go with the MH combo. If not, I'd go with this.
Logan J
Old 05-02-2003, 09:54 PM   #10

Logan, if that tank is lit up by 640 watts of light only, that is a heck of a lot of light for only 3.5 watts per gal..Wow...

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com