Help with Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefsforme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I established a new 6 gallon Nano cube about 3-4 weeks ago. I finially got live rock, and it has been in aquarium for about 2 weeks now, and it some of the rock is turning purple, while other parts are turning white? Is there something wrong? The parameters are perfect, barely any nitrite, no nitrate, and no amonia. The temp. is at 81 degrees, and I am lighting the aquarium for now for 6 hours a day. The salinity of water is 1.025. Once a week I use Kent Marine Nano Reef Parts A and B. So What's wrong?:confused:

Well it sounds like your rock is bleaching and this I think is normal. It might start a mini cycle or a cycle. Your parameters you listed if everything is "perfect" You should have NO NITRITE and no ammonia. You will however have NITRATES. I think you just mixed em around. Back to your live rock. I am thinking it is because you are curing it in a tank that has already been cycled. Did you have live rock in your tank already or is what you just put in all that is in there. I think this is normal and you will get some white on the rocks however there is an explanation for this that someone else will have to explain to you because I do not know the direct cause of it.

When you add new LR alot of times it will turn white esp. if the water parameters are not the same as where it came from. It will eventually turn back to colors it needs to be at. Nothing to worry about.

When you add new LR alot of times it will turn white esp. if the water parameters are not the same as where it came from. It will eventually turn back to colors it needs to be at. Nothing to worry about.

He's right of course... :)
It's Normal...
I cycled my tank with 50lbs of beautiful Purple/Green/Orange LR. By the time I was ready to add fish it was all pretty much white.

Now, over 4 months into it, all the colors are returning In full form. Even my Turbo Snails are turning purple.

"Once a week I use Kent Marine Nano Reef Parts A and B." Why are you adding this to your tank. Please don't get into the habit of just adding something to your tank with first "testing" for it... What are your readings.
Ammonia, nitrite, PH, SG and nitrate.. also dkh

I know what I am doing with the Kent Marine Parts A and B, and I know my readings.

Back
Top Bottom