Help with Marine epoxy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased soem of that marine epoxy stuff that people use to get their rock structures to stick together and sit right. It is the stuff that comes in a cylinder shape and has white on the outside and a gray stuff in the middle. YOu mix it and then form it and it will cure in the air or under water.

Well I used it a few days ago to try and get a small rock to stay in the place that I wanted. However as soon as I put it in my skimmer whent nuts. I had to shut off all the air flow to it cause it was overflowing. Still I have bubbles somehow and I have the air valve fully closed.

I did abotu a 20% PWC and then another 15%PWC the next day. But I am worried about the tank and the water chemistry. What else can I do? Should I get soem more carbon media filters running? More water changes?

Also what cna I do for an injured bubble coral? That rock that I was fixing- well when it came loose it fell on the bubble and I think hurt it a little. The bubble is still opening all the way up but you can see a few bubbles are not doign all that great. Will it be ok jsut to leave it alone?

You could have kicked up some sand, ditritus, oil, lotion on your skin. I have used this product with no problems getting a large branching hammar coral to stay put.

Your skimmer's trying to remove whatever part of the chemical reaction that happens when you use epoxy goes into the water column. It isn't poisonous so don't worry too much about it. Parial water changes like you're doing is just fine.

The coral itself should pick up and be back to itself after a few days.

If you are having trouble using the epoxy and getting it to "stick" where you want it to stay, you can put a little Crazy Glue Gel...the gel's important as opposed to the regular kind...What you do is put some of the Gel on the epocy, for example, dip it into the salt water and you'll see that the Gel get's solidified fairly quickly...After about two minutes, put another dab of Gel there on the Gel that's there already and push that onto the rockwork where you want it to stay. You might have to hold the whole thing where it is for a while...maybe 4 minutes or so...but then you should have a good solid connection. You can do the same thing, when you put the epoxy onto the rock that the coral is on before you mount the whole thing to the rockwork.

thanks. I will keep an eye on thigns buy the bubbles coming out of my skimmer are incredible. I am goign to let it go for anotehr few days. I will also do water changes and I put a new carbon filter in to help.

You could also shut down the skimmer for a short time. I have used the epoxy with no ill effects.

Well I am goign to leave thigns bee and give it a few days.

I also noticed one my my mushrooms appears to be dieing or somehting. One shroom on a rock with abotu 5 is jsut very small, witherd looking and a different color thant the others. IT is nto opening at all and it look liek a plant that has nto gotten water for a few weeks.

I am nto sure what to d ofor it or what is causing this. My levels all check out in good ranges. I put a half glass top back on the tank to cut down light gettign into the tank. It cuts it a little but helps. Hopig nthat maybe the mushroom jsut got too much light or flow. But it is strange for jsut that one to have issues whiel the rest appear ok.

Actually they all apear a little less livley. They are not opening to the same degre as they used to but they are opening.

I wil ltry to take soem pictures.

Just dial the skimmer back a little bit it will settle in cutting a skimmer of will lower the Dissolved 0'2 in the tank. Might want to mark the air inlet so as to set it back where it was it will settle in a few hrs so I'd just dump it and let it roll on. and not mess with the air if its been running well in the past..
Oh the shrooms you are talking about really are not corals by anemones and they will at times deflate to uptake new water.. Also they like light that would have no effect on them .. Maybe getting ready to split and start a new shroom .. They do that..

I am confused. First of al lI thought that mushrooms were corals???? Are they not clasified as corals?

Second the mushroom I am talkign about has been like this for several days now. IT is just very small and kind of scrunched up. Looks like it is wilted. It is in-between two other muchrooms. When expanded they ofte overlap each other.

I jsut don't know what is causing the mushroom to act like this. It is very strange cause the rest of them are open and more normal looking.

Back
Top Bottom