help with moving a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lower11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My brother is giving me his 25 gal tank which is loaded with live rock and live sand. I am planning on picking it up but the problem is he lives in Boston and im in Ohio. It will be a 14 hr drive, my question is do i need to do anything to the live rock or live sand. Im really excited about making this my reef tank and the healthier i can keep everything during the move the easier it will be.
also he has two clowns and some anemones. (should he sell those at the lfs)
any suggestions on what to do with the rock and sand? or should i leave a little water in the tank along with everything.
any help, thanks

Keep it all wet. Get a bunch of 5gal buckets with lids or some rubbermaid tubs. Rock in one and sand in another. You want to buy a couple of those battery operated air pumps as well. As for the fish...take them back to the LFS, one less thing to worry about. Once the tank is up and running, you can add the fish you want. Also, keep any filter media wet as well.

I moved my 30 gal about 1 year ago and did it as mentioned in above post. Althought it was only about 3 hours from time i took down to time i completed move my tank did very well. I didn't loose anything. I bought rubbermaid plastic containers and washed them well and put a couple of gallons of water and some rock in each one and moved it that way. Also i left the bedding in the tank during move(however i have a very shallow crusehed coral bedding, not very heavy)

Back
Top Bottom