Help with my Coralife Actnic lighting please????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrFLGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I started working on the lighting for that 120 gallon tank.

The previous owner had the following:

1 Coralife Actnic 03 Blue (48 inch)
3 Cheap GE lights from Home depot (48 inch)

That all just seemed like too much light for the tank.

I took 2 of the lights out and replaced one of the GE bulbs with another Coralife Actnic. Now I have 2 Coralife Actnic 03 Blue (40W).

It seems really blue now. Should I swap and only have 1 Coralife in there? Are those cheap GE's OK? If so, let me know so I can take this other Coralife back.

I like the blue but not too much.

Please help!

TIA

I think I just want to go with 2 lights total for now.

What are the specifics on the 50/50 URI's? Please let me know what to look for?

I'll pick one up tomorrow when I take this Actnic back.

Thanks!

A 50/50 bulb is half actinic and half 10000K color temp. Its supposed to be a mix between blue and white. I think that even with the 50/50 bulb and one actinic that the tank will be very blue. I agree with grndhog to a point keep the 2 actinics and replace the GE's with 2 10k bulbs. Why don't you want the 4 lamps? That is not too much light for a 120 gallon by any means.

With 2 lights on, it looks extremely bright already.

The other 2 lamps don't seem to work right now so until I figure out what's going on, I am limited to only 2 anyways.

Since I am using 2 lights for now, what should I do?

I am thinking about 1 Actnic and 1 ____ ?????

Advice?

Thanks!

Living in Tampa you are surrounded by some of the finest LFS in the country. I say that because I used to live in Clearwater about 10 years ago. You dont know how well you have it.

You should be able to go to one of them and have them show you an example of different combos for lighting. That one on Dale Mabry was my favorite, I forget the name.

Anyways, maybe a Sunlight URI bulb, but I've heard that they are kind of pink. I would definitely try to get all four bulbs going, it would be worth it.

Are you talking about Creative Oceans on dale mabry? I go there every now and then.

Marine Warehouse on Hillsborough seems to be my LFS of choice.

I would like to get some advice though on another light that I can put in there for now. Like I said, for now I will be limited to 2. Anyone else have any tips or advice on light combos for 2 bulbs? I'd like to know a little something before I go to the store.

Eventually, I will get the other 2 working but for now, I just don't have the time to pull out the wiring and such and see what the problem is. I have already devoted so much time these last 2 weeks with getting the tank up and running.

Thanks again everyone!

If I was only limited to two bulbs, it would be one antinic and one 10K bulb, that provides a good color. The Tank that you have is 120 gallon, how long is it. If the lights are off set, then I would just get 2 10K's or even 2 50/50's, otherwise, you would have one side of the tank blue, and the other side white.

Thanks!

The tank's length is 48 inches and so are the lights.

What is a good 10K bulb, that provides a good color?

Thanks again!

Thanks for asking! :D

I decided to go with one blue actnic and one 10k bulb for now and I love the look!

I am sure i'll need more lighting eventaully but it looks good right now!

Thanks again for all yoru help!

Back
Top Bottom