Help with my feather duster please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruha456

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning my feather duster lost it's crown can anyone help? I'll check my water parameters today but should i throw the tube away or might it still be alive? It's still stuck to the rock it was on.

I'd leave the tube just in case he's still in there. Mine completely left his tube and has never been seen again. :-( If the entire tube collapses then most likely the worm has left.

Thanks Carey I've heard they discard the crown when stressed and then grow it back, I don't know how true that is or what to look for to see if it's worth leaving in the tank. Just wanna learn cause I really like the feather dusters an was thinking about adding some more to my tank.

I would love to add another to my tank after my first one just up and disappeared.lol

I think he may actually grow the crown back if he is still in the tube so leave it there to make sure. I left mine until it completely collapsed to almost nothing. Give him a few days and see where you are at. Chances are he is still in there. :)

How long was he in the tank before he dropped his crown? Was he under alot of current or are there any fish that were bothering him?

Moderate current just have two clowns and four chromis and a randalls goby in a 40gal. Have also have one shrimp and a clean up crew with one emerald crab. I've had the feather duster for a while now and it was big and beautiful I'm really sad he shed his crown I wonder if when I did the water change if that's what stressed him and was the cause.

I doubt the water change stressed the FD. I have mine in med. water flow and do many water changes. At one point my FD lost his crown but within a week was already growing a smaller crown. Just give it time.

Thanks I'll try that and hope for the best.

So I checked my feather duster last night and it was still stuck on the rock it affixed itself onto and when I touched it I felt it move inside. I'm gonna leave it alone and see if the crown grows back every finger I can cross is crossed. Thanks guys for the input.

Back
Top Bottom