Help with overflow being air locked!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty Fraiser

Aquarium Advice Activist
My overflow pipe that comes thru the bottom of the tank is stubbed down about 4 inches. Attached to that is a drain hose that is too long. It is attached to a pvc t that is only about 4 inches away but the hose is about 2 feet long. The t has 2 drains that drain into 2 socks. The drain hose that is a little Long has a u shape just a bit. For some reason here lately if I cut power to tank and then turn it back on the tank tries to overflow. If I disconnect the drain and just lay it in the sump water begins to return. But if I plug it up to t that goes to socks it seems to get air locked. Which means if I lose power now and it returns tank will overflow. T is wide open and not plugged. Seems to defy gravity. I'm confused!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And the drain hose appears to have a special end on it so I can't just cut it shorter. The way it needs to lay is not always downhill. But I thought the head water from tank would push it thru. It always has. Just trouble recently

Sounds like an Eshoppes flex hose drain line. You can try to buy a shorter one... I think they go as short at 2 feet.

A radiator hose fits perfectly on a 1 inch pvc pipe. Local hardware store had all kinds of pre curved hose! Works great!

Back
Top Bottom