Help with QT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up a 20g quarantine today and did the opposite. Moved rocks and inverts to the tank and doing hypo in the dt cause it's hard to catch the fish. I put my horseshoe in and then realized I used new water and it wasn't cycled. Should she survive the cycle? I can't put her back in the tank because of the hypo. I want to cycle the water cause I may add fish later.

Since you moved the live rock, I wouldn't worry too much. Besides, it's not the water that cycles, it's the tank. Way back in the day, we thought old water was somehow magic, then we figured out it was all about a bacteria bed. Most of your beneficial bacteria is on the rock, in the filter, and on the sand or gravel. Monitor your ammonia and nitrites a couple times a day in both you quarantine tank and in your display. If you see any, do a water change to bring them down.

I will ask you this, how did you move the inverts from the display to the qt? Did you reacclimatize as though they were new additions, or did you just catch and release?

The new water doesn't matter, do you have a filter or filter media you can use on the 20? With that and your rock you should be ok. Keep an eye on your water, if you have a spike do a water change.

How did you get 110lbs of rock into a qt and all the inverts? Thats alot of rock. How abouu the sand? Are you gonna ditch it or clean it?

I put a little rock and all inverts and a little sand and I am going to reseed the rest of the rock.

You went to all this trouble of breaking down the tank you should ahve just removed the fish. LOL would have been just as easy to catch them and would be soo much better.

I'll be quiet now. :) You know what I think about the situation and my opinion already.

I just didnt want to cram them up in a 20g tank. My parents didnt want anything bigger cause its on the 2nd floor and its alot of weight. It would have been more stress for the fish too. Also, since theyre aggressive, I bet they would have killed eachother in anything less than a 75g. Thats the main reason I did it.

Back
Top Bottom