help with refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefobsessed

Aquarium Advice Freak
I already have a well established reef. Cant I just go to home depot, get the downsouth sand and then put 5 lbs of the cc from my main tank and a hunk or two of LR from the LFS to get it started?? How long will this take before I can hook it up to the main tank??

Yeah, you could do that. Assuming the LR from the LFS is well cured (been there a while) and you keep it under water on the way home, you could hook it up right away. I would probably lean towards several small pieces of LR instead of one or two large pieces though. You probably wouldn't even have to add any of the CC from the main tank. A different set of critters will live in the sand anyway. The best thing would be to get some good LS from a friends reef tank or from the LFS. That and the LR should give you a good starting culture of critters.

I would recommend letting the sand in the fuge settle a little first though. You pump may end up coulding your display a little but no harm really other than you may have to dust off your display items. Someone posted (sorry i can't give credit) about adding wet sand to the fuge and covering it with foil or a cut piece of cardboard and held down with a plate or something heavy before adding water and it will help with the settlinga little.

Back
Top Bottom