Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-24-2003, 12:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ogden10
Help with Seabae Anemone

I purchased a pink Seabae last night from my local store based on the advise they gave me. They told me that they were a very hardy species ( as far as anemone goes ). Also this anemone had a maroon yellow stripe clown that had bonded with it. They said that it would help them both to adjust if I got them at the same time. After I put them in the tank the seabea settled upside down and then clown wanted nothing to do with it. I moved the seabae to an area with slightly more current and faced it up. After about 2 hours the clown was back to snuggling with his friend. Then this morning the seabae is not active at all, color is not as vivid as last night, and the clown has left and seems to want nothing to do with it. I tried to feed mysis to them and the clown ate fine but did not bring any to the anemone. I am worried I made a bad decision about the anemone and want any advice on what to do to help it acclimate. I would hate for it to die !!!

Thanks

Old 11-24-2003, 12:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I purchased a pink Seabae last night from my local store based on the advise they gave me. They told me that they were a very hardy species ( as far as anemone goes ).
OK, we have just determined that your LFS doesn't know much or are a little liberal with the truth, Sebae anemones are not hardy at all, one of the common names for this anemone is the delicate anemone.

Please tell us more about your system, how long it's been set up, water parameters, lighting, filtration etc...

Also if possible provide a picture of the anemone, so we can verify the species.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go figure they bent the truth

My tank is a 55gallon. I have a Eheim 2213 canister filter, a coralife pc light. Again my LFS said this light would be great for anamones. My tank has been up and running for about 2 months. All my water levels are good. I even double checked chem before I introduced the seabae. My specific gravity is .021-.22. Temp is 76. What else ??? After looking at various pictures I am fairly certain that it is a seabae, but I will post a picture later after I get home.

Thanks for your help
Kevin
Old 11-24-2003, 02:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most people who have luck with anemones only get them once the tank has been established for awhile like 8months to a year minimum. And you need very high light for these guys. A single light doesn't sound like it is enough.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

more specifically the light is a Coralife 48" 65 w twin tube with 50/50 bulbs.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have had luck with my two bubble tip anemones. Some things that I can think of off the top of my head are

1. They look horrible while going to the bathroom.
2. Anemones die quickly in High Phosphate waters. Are you testing phosphates?
3. They look horrible first thing when the light comes on.
4. I hand feed my anemones 2 or 3 times a week.

Good luck.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It was just after the lights had come on when I saw it this morning. I checked again in about 15 minutes and it was not much better. I found it unusual that the clown would all of the sudden decide that he wanted nothing to do with the anemone after the inseperable the night before. Maybe not, just seemed that way to me. I guess I need to set up a web cam on my aquarium at home so I can monitor while working
Old 11-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have just over 2 watts per gallon and from what I understand that isn't enough for anemones. I think most people are suggesting closer to 5 watts per gallon, but you will need to find someone who has actually been successful with these creatures.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My anemone usually takes about 45 min to look normal in the morning. I love anemones but they are a ton of worry and work. How are your phosphates?
Old 11-24-2003, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not sure. I test for Nitrite, nitrate, ph, and alkalinity....but I don't think that the strips they suggested test for phospates. Would it be usuall for all other water peramters to be good and phospates to be off?

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com