Help with sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Albino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanting some advice. I've got up this morning and found my kole tang very unwell and cant figure out why. He's acting very much the same as my fox face did just before he died. This is my 4th fish apart from my ff and a pair of clowns. My corals and clowns are fine (couldn't be happier) and parameters are fine. Theres been no sign or illness or ich ect. Im pretty sure he's going to die. Any advice or thoughts as to what's going on? Internal parasites?

Oh tank is 66gal and parameters are:
Ammo - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phos - 0
KH - 10
Cal - 480
Sal - .025
Temp - 27 C - 79/80

Does he have ich? When stressed, tangs especially, can become vulnerable to diseases. Just make sure he is eating properly and adding garlic extract to the food will entice him and help.

I think the hardest thing about treating a disease is making sure you're treating the right disease. We try and narrow parasites and problems down based on symptoms. Even if it is not visible on the body of the fish, I wouldn't rule anything out at this point. The only thing you know is that one fish died and another is showing similar symptoms before he is likely to pass by the same fate.

What is the Kole Tang doing?

Rapid breathing?
Listlessness?
Hanging out at the surface or near the bottom?
Last time you added a fish? Did you QT prior to adding?
Splotchy fins or scales?
Anything swollen?
How are the eyes looking?
Interest in feeding?
Etc.

He's lying on the bottom breathing heavy. No spots, was eating fine yesterday, eyes look bright and nice and yellow and have noticed no change in personality. Yesterday afternoon I did think he looked a bit stressed. I noticed this while I was acclaiming new coral so I put some nori in there and he seemed to be acting normal and went straight back to grazing. I did not QT him which I now think was a bad idea. I felt bad being my QT is about 8gal.

Should I take him out and QT him now? I did this with my Foxface and that was what stressed him to death IMO. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom