Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavass View Post
It is time to change out my bulbs they are 10 months old I am ordering them next week hoping BRS has a after xmas sale. Some of the corals are actuall on the bottom of the tank. I am thinking of changing my light cycle once I get back in town after xmas when I can watch the tank to see if they are to bright. I am going run 2 bulbs for 2 hours then run 4 bulbs for 4 hours the cut back to 2 for 2 hours and see what happens. Water changes I change out 5g twice a week so trace should be in balance. Sunday I did my 6 month tank cleaning and changed out 15g
Im betting a bulb change would really help. May have to shorten the photo period a bit when you first get them and slowly increase it.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:27 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow and wow. That was awesome to read. I would recommend a bulb change at 9 or 10 months instead of 12. 12 is good if you run your lights for shorter periods. Also, pH might be brought up a little. Most SPS do best at 8.2-8.4. Also they like moderate to strong flow.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What is your Kelvin for the light bulbs? I would try move closer towards 20000K.
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a few more questions:

How long have your parameters been stable at these levels?

How long have you been losing colour? (Fast change, gradual change?)

Were the corals browned when you got them or normal colors?

I might go against the grain here and suggest that your water is lacking in nutrients. Zooxanthellae require nutrients to survive, in addition to proper light - like almost any photosynthetic organism.

From reading, I'm guessing that your zoox are "starving" due to the light nutrient load. At balanced levels the zoox provide colour. Too much light or too little and they tend to bleach. Too high of nutrients and they tend to brown, too few nutrients and they tend to wash out - like you're seeing.

Since you're seeing reasonable growth, you can assume the coral is healthy for now; the zoox isn't able to form population densities rapid enough to show colour. This limits UV protection to the coral itself though and could lead to a bleaching event if you tinker with the lights.

Slowly add livestock or cut back on your carbon dose until you can sustain .25 or .5 ppm of NO3 and maintain around .03 ppm of PO4. Perhaps an amino acid supplement for corals could help.

Another though could be to slightly lower the calcium & Alk levels to attempt to decrease coral growth - reducing the hosts energy consumption. But I would think you would rather maintain growth levels.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for all the info and questions. I am not totally sold on it could be the bublbs needing changing. But it could be. The Frogspawn has looked like this for about 6 months. The kelvin ratings are Aquablue Special is 12k, Blue Plus 20k, Coral Plus 15k. When I do change out the bulbs I was thinking of going with 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 Coral Plus, and 1 Purple Plus. That is actually what ATI recommends in a 6 bulb fixture. Last night the PH was 8.2 in tank I pointed the power heads a little more towards the surface Wed night. Tank has been stable for a year now. I got the SPS corals in July or Aug and they have gradually turned like this. They were vibrant colors when I got them.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Frogspawn is a good indicator, judging by timeframe, and the fact that LPS often require higher nutrient levels that could support the theory & rule out bad bulbs. Do you ever target feed it? Target feeding could be a way of incrementally adding nutrients to benefit your corals.

Judging by the ULNS you're running and the gradual washing out of colour, not bleaching, RTN or STN, I would say you're close to where you want to be. If you look at Zeovit users, they drive their tanks to ULNS like yours to set a stable baseline then incrementally add product to increase growth and coloration. Seeing that your elemental levels are in check, I would work on giving your coral more "food".

Changing your spectrum could have some effect, and I would maintain a good amount of true actinic as the UV light provided is shown to help coloration as the zooxanthellae act as a UV block to the coral tissue but changes should be gradual and monitored for bleaching or necrosis.

With any fix, stability is key. Rapid change is bad and the results you want to see are often slow. This is more important because you're quite close to where you want to be already. I would begin by introducing an Amino supplement and target feeding LPS a small amount weekly & go from there.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

From reading all of this information and looking more closely at the pics I have a different perspective as to why the SPS are not doing well. This tank looks to be heavily populated by LPS and Softies. SPS do not like the chemical warfare that goes on with softies. Your information on the tank seems to show that you are doing things right but the husbandry is off a bit. Xenia that you have in the tank likes all that food you feed, they love having stuff in the water column to pull out. I've had SPS systems for many years now and for the most part I do not feed the corals anything. The amount of energy it takes a coral to pull something form the water column (other than CA Mg ect) and process it exceeds the return they get.

In this hobby less is usually better when referring to adding things to the water. I do PWCs every other week and have Kalk in my top-off water.

I dont know if that has helped much but that is my observation.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I am hoping for a dremel tool for Christmas and if i get it next weekend i am pulling some rock and grinding Xenias away, lol! That has been a plan for a few weeks!

Over the last few days i have been adding Red Sea Energy A&B but i have stopped for the time being. I am going back to basics. Skimmer, lights, live rock. No carbon, no gfo, no additives and see what happens
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, when sps brown I've read that it's from too much zoo. And limiting food and increasing light will solve that issue. In terms of losing color, the ones that are losing color are the ones in direct light. The issue is def the lights. Nutrients might play into it, and increasing feedings might help with your upcoming bulb change. I would rule out chemical warfare due to the corals effected being the ones in direct light. Also, in my tank I have a mixed reef that is fully stocked with no problems. If this is something you suspect, I would increase distance between the different types of coral and increase carbon filtration...just doubt this as an issue.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Over the last few days i have been adding Red Sea Energy A&B but i have stopped for the time being. I am going back to basics. Skimmer, lights, live rock. No carbon, no gfo, no additives and see what happens

Tags
color, pics, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com