Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers reef View Post
Sorry just read above uve used energy try the colour programme follow the one specificly for sps
I have the color test kit and trial size additives. I have ran the tests a few times and with the exception of iron they are all in line.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I think it's high nutrients. No coral food is necessary. Whatever you feed the fish is plenty. If you change the bulbs out, be sure to acclimate the corals in some way.
If it were high nutrients would i have an algae problem too? I use to but after vinegar and gfo i have had no algae for several months. I only scrap my glass once every 2 weeks. However grape caulerpa does grow in sump

Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can have higher nutrients than SPSs like for best coloration yet still have no nuisance algae. Remember, the corals themselves can use nutrients for their internal algae. They then get brown or tan. High nutrients, if consumed by corals or refugium algae, may not cause nuisance algae at all.

Light may still be a factor.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

I still think high nutrients would cause a browning, or bleaching if high enough.

Absolute 0 nutrients: coral die.
Too few nutrients: zoox populations decline causing wash out
Proper nutrients: good color & growth
Too high nutrients: zoox populations increase causing browning
Far too high nutrients: bleaching
Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Its a fine line of balance. It seems my tank could go either way, to low or to high. I have no idea which way to go. Seems the easiest is to go back to basics?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #36
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

This is definitely interesting me. I am also having some browning issues with some of my SPS. Others seem to be doing just fine. I decided to increase my lighting a bit, and I cut out feeding reef chili a couple of weeks ago. It is so hard to decide what to do, and know exactly what the problem is so I understand the frustration.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's an easy balance for the ocean, not in our tiny systems. Recent research has shown that wild reefs would survive without the nutrients provided by fish (among other things). Population limiters, the oceans volume and millions of years of evolution have set the balance.

Since your coral is healthy, albeit slightly drab, small changes allowed to work over long times are key. Change ONE thing (maybe cut it in half or double it) and evaluate. You're on the cusp of awesome so now it's down to the details.

As for broadcast feeding, while it may (or may not) help accelerate growth, it's not essential to the health of your coral. If you have elevated nutrients causing browning, cut it out. Balanced nutrients is more important than the benefits of broadcast feeding. Target feeding is much more efficient but still not essential.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #38
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

All of this makes sense to me. Though in my tank, my starlight acro was brown before I started broadcast feeding. Of my 3 acros, it is the only one that is brown. The plum crazy and red planet still have the color, but the red planet has greened around the base. Since this is what the red planet does under less intense lighting and my radions were at 60%, I'm turning them up. I plan on continuing the broadcast feeding for my coco worm and derasa clam, along with other things that can benefit.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

In my experience, a coral that's been brown for a while can take a looong time to color up. Browning can be caused by inadequate light as zoox populations increase to make up the difference.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

And Merry Christmas!

Tags
color, pics, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com