Help with SPS color.....pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But the corals that have browned up are showing the best growth in my frag system. The lighting has a huge difference on this process IMO. But organic levels can also contribute. If you are growing Xenia, you have at least moderate organic levels, Xenia won't grow otherwise. If you polish the water to maximize SPS coloration, you are at risk of nuking the soft coral population.

But the corals that have browned up are showing the best growth in my frag system. The lighting has a huge difference on this process IMO. But organic levels can also contribute. If you are growing Xenia, you have at least moderate organic levels, Xenia won't grow otherwise. If you polish the water to maximize SPS coloration, you are at risk of nuking the soft coral population.

The Xenia can die i would love it to

I managed to keep one stalk of it. Doesn't grow, doesn't die. Stable & pulsing. I feed heavy & export heavy so maybe there's just enough nutrients at times to keep it going. My Monti cap will over grow it soon though.

Well just to give an update. Got a call from my roommate this morning that my Mag Drive pump was not pumping so I had to come home a day early
frown.gif
Had a spare Impellar put it in an cranked it up. Tank dropped from 79-74 degrees but everything looks as it did when I left Sat so i assume the corals are ok. I did go ahead and take the GFO offline.

That's odd. Mag Drives usually last years and years. Sorry to hear about it. I hope the rest of your Christmas was more relaxing.

GFO has been removed and I changed my light cycle to 2 bulbs on from 10am-12pm, 4 bulbs from 12-7pm, and 2 bulbs from 7-9pm. Still might be to long a peroid but I need to try and see what happens might cut back on the 2 bulbs and run the an hour each instead of 2

With each change, it can take weeks to see a noticeable difference.

Not to totally change the course of conversation, but I have very little faith in Mag Drive pumps. I've had more fail than not...and just out of warranty. I prefer Quiet One pumps.

I have had pretty good luck but i have to admit i have thought about trying Quiet One
It might just be a "Ford v.s. Chevy" type of thing, but who knows.
Eheim pumps are pretty good, but I don't think they are twice as good (about double the price).

It might just be a "Ford v.s. Chevy" type of thing, but who knows.
Eheim pumps are pretty good, but I don't think they are twice as good (about double the price).

I have Iwaki pumps that have lasted 20 years without needing any service. I use a hot tub style pre-filter basket on the intakes which prevent impeller damage. They are very good pumps.

Back
Top Bottom