Heniochus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I introduce a Heniochus into a 225 gal FO tank that already has a yellow tang, naso tang, and a medium passer angel? How hard are they to keep?

I have 2 heni's with a yellow tang and a Blue Ringed Angel. The angel is the only one that goes after them on occasion. They are very fast and hang out together. Im not sure how one will do on its own. The Henis were introduced shortly after the angel and the yellow tang was last. The size of the heni compared to your other tank mates may be a factor they are a very peaceful swimmer. My tank is currently a 125.

Henis tend to do best in a group. They are pretty hardy and in a 225 should do great. I suggest at least three. Any corals now or plans to get later? There are two common speices and one is considered reef safe (H. diphreutes) and the other (H. acuminatus) is not, although it is a lot easier to find in the aquarium industry.

I've got no plans to add any coral to the tank, just fish only. The only reason I wanted to add only one was that I was concerned about overcrowding the tank with too many fish. I've already got a medium passer angel, medium naso tang, medium yellow tang, large foxface, sharpnosed puffer, two percs, longnosed hawk, royal gramma, three zerba gobies, and three yellow tailed damsels. If I added three more fish wouldn't that be crowding it a little too much for my size tank?

they prefer to be in groups, although one might live, it would want friends.

I had ordered a pair of these online; unfortuantely one was DOA. So I went to my LFS a month later and picked up another one (and at double the price...sigh). Anyways after coming out of QT and into the main the "established" Heni harassed the new one to death, literally, chasing and pecking at it without mercy. After research I learned it's best to add them all at the same time. My heni is now solo but is best friends with my yellow tang, and is extremely friendly (eats out of fingers). It's the only fish I never see "sleep" at night either, it's always on the move!

It would probably get the crap kicked out of it. At the very least, introduce a pair.
Sweet fish, but its tankmates are not.

Back
Top Bottom