Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heniochus butterflies

I have a 75g FOWLR, 10 year old tank with no
Major problems and great water parameters. Current tank mates have gotten along for a couple years. I have a tomato clown, very peaceful blue damsel (10 years old) large blue chromis, and a coral beauty - small. All fish only 3 inches max. I added in a pair of small Heniochus, 3-4 inches. At that point weíre about the same size if not the largest in the tank. Got along fine, ate well then all of a sudden after about 6 weeks I lost 1 and lost the other a week later which is a decent amount of time. I was very puzzled. They didnít seem bullied at all. I drip acclimate all my fish as I have done for years without issues.

I feed about half a cube per day to these guys daily alternating between mysis, spirulina/brine, and mega marine angel.

I want to give it another go - so any advice may be helpful. Different number maybe 3 or 4? Rearrange rocks? Different food? Maybe it was just a fluke? Pics attached from the side view of my tank when they were in there. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8927.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	311510Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8925.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	311511

Old 01-07-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would assume that there was bullying that simply wasn't being seen. These fish usually require a much larger tank, in the 6 ft range along with very peaceful tankmates. Though they are usually pretty easy to care for, they are quite sensitive from acclimation to bullying. With the tank mates you described, I'd just say that there wasn't enough room for so many semi aggressive fish already in the system with established territories.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a 6 week span to die off, sounds more like a dietary issue to me than anything else. I can't see the tank as a whole but they do need a fair amount of swimming space so if that was supplied, then I'd work more on the foods. A larger mixture of proteins and vegetable matter should be given. I would feed mine fresh clams on the half shell ( I would get clams at the fish market, slice in half then freeze) weekly combined with shrimps, scallops, and fish plus fish eggs when available. But even with all this, their survival rate when up when I started adding pieces of live corals to their diet. So you may want to consider this before adding them again.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
For a 6 week span to die off, sounds more like a dietary issue to me than anything else. I can't see the tank as a whole but they do need a fair amount of swimming space so if that was supplied, then I'd work more on the foods. A larger mixture of proteins and vegetable matter should be given. I would feed mine fresh clams on the half shell ( I would get clams at the fish market, slice in half then freeze) weekly combined with shrimps, scallops, and fish plus fish eggs when available. But even with all this, their survival rate when up when I started adding pieces of live corals to their diet. So you may want to consider this before adding them again.

Thanks so much! I agree, must have been diet and thanks for the suggestions on food.

Tags
flies, heniochus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com