Herbie system on a 125g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all...

I'm about 6 weeks out from my upgrade to a 125g tank and I'm thinking about using a Herbie system instead of the standard durso pipes that came with the tank to reduce the noise. Now, it's been about 7yrs since I last setup a new tank and I don't have any experience with this "herbie" drain method and I'm looking for some insight/opinions from those who do. I'm very excited to get started as I plan to use the years of experience in this hobby to plumb a better system. I don't even think I knew what a union was the first tank i plumbed!

Ok, so the tank has two corner overflows with 2-1.75" holes in each overflow, so I'll have 4 bulkheads to work with. From what read, I was thinking of running a 3/4" siphon and a 1" emergency drain in one corner and then another 3/4" siphon and a 1" return in the other corner overflow. Both siphons with have a gate valve plumbed in so I can fine tune/adjust the flow up to the emergency pipe.

Does that sound like it will work? Is that too much drain? Is that not enough drain? Etc....

My return pump is an Ecotech Vectra M1 DC pump, so I can adjust the return rate as well.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated as I'd like to buy my plumbing components this Friday. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom