Here comes the fun part!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, enough talk. I'm finally ready to order some equipment today for my 75 gal which is now cycling. (From an AA sponsor of course). Thanks to a lot of advice here, I've decided to spend a little more at the onset rather than just upgrading later.

Here's what I'm ready to order:

1 Aqua-C Remora Pro (protein skimmer) $226

1 48" Coralife AQUALIGHT WITH 2-65W ACTINIC / 2-65W 10,000K LAMP
STRAIGHT PIN BASE $199

2 Maxi-Jet 1200's $20 each

2 3/4 Watt Coralife clip on moonlight $16 each

I will also pick up some live rock - up to about 40lbs (small pieces) as I already have 115lbs base rock.

Questions:
1.) Does this sound like enough water movement and is this the best way to get movement? (BTW, I already have a Emperor 400 to help with circulation)

2.) Is this lighting adequate for most soft corals, etc. (beginner stuff)?
2a.) This light does not have moon lights, how many will I need?
2b.) Should I order a light that already has moon lights? - the reason
I chose the one I did is that, while it does not have moonlights, it
does have separate power cords which will give me better timer
options.

Final note - I want to keep the cost for these items around $500 b/4 shipping costs, with about another $200 set aside for lr.

TIA

1.) Does this sound like enough water movement and is this the best way to get movement? (BTW, I already have a Emperor 400 to help with circulation)

imo no not even close :) i take it ya not using a sump !! id at least go with a couple more maxi-jets !! other wise make a cheap sump and get a bigger pump but then ya need an overflow unless the tanks is emty and ya can get it drilled :)

Is this lighting adequate for most soft corals, etc. (beginner stuff)?
yes for now but if ya not wanting to upgrade later which if it were me i know i would be id save and get mh i like these lights and the best price ive seen so far with bulbs talking 300 for a set of two and then ya wont have to upgrade :)

http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2...e=OE&Product_Code=2WEMHRK&Category_Code=EVCEB

Should I order a light that already has moon lights? - the reason
I chose the one I did is that, while it does not have moonlights, it
does have separate power cords which will give me better timer
options.

moon light are very easy to make and cheaap as well !! i used a led light stip made for under cars for like $30 minus the converter but that can wait as well use the money for better lights now and that can be added easy enough :)

id go with the aqua-c and the lights and pumps wait for the other stuff just my thoughts though

Thanks scuba_steve. No, no sump. For the water movement, should I get two more mj1200's? I have seen some that rotate as well; is that necessary?

As far as the lighting, yes this will be all for quite awhile. If I get to a point where I feel like I NEED mh, then I will probably feel like I need a larger tank as well. 8)

I actually had some moonlights in mind. Click Here (LT-ES53400)

Would two of these be adequate?

I just placed the order with Captive Reefs. Aside from all the great feedback they get here, they had the best prices as well! :D

Aqua-C Remora Pro protein skimmer
48" AQUALIGHT WITH 2-65W ACTINIC / 2-65W 10,000K LAMP STRAIGHT PIN BASE (W/ FANS)
4 maxi-jet 1200's - thanks scuba_steve
2 3/4 Watt Coralife clip on moonlights

Now to get some lr - might as well get it now while the tank is still cycling.

cool yea id get the rock as ya waiting might as well drop a raw shrimp in to start it :) good luck

I just ordered that light couple weeks ago and I love it its very sleek looking and I love the 2 cords and 2 switches. The only problem is that it doesnt fit on my tank it has 2 lips on the ends that are suposed to fit on the ends of the tank and I guess my rim is just a little bigger then normal tanks so im going to have to buy the legs. Also your going to need some egg crate to cover the rest of the top because the lights dont cover it all. O by the way this is on a 55 :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom