Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've been trying to get my wife acclimated to my loud music and movies for ten years now, and no luck. hope you have better luck with your fish!

Old 01-29-2004, 05:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is 5 feet from my sub and I have not noticed any problems. I did epoxy my rocks together just to be safe since my sub has been known to knock pictures off the wall.

Old 01-29-2004, 05:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Cesspool Send a message via MSN to Cesspool
Quote:
holy unintelligible post, batman!
lol my bad. its all the wierd "isms" i have in my head. i was born in the south (new orleans), grew up on the west coast (california), only to end up on the east coast(new jersey). now im sitting here in germany trying to figure out wat channal the superbowl is going to be on. all the local lingo sorta gets mixed up when im typin online because i dont know who im addressing 8O
Quote:
Wow, this is a spelling riot. Grab your clubs gentlemen.
hate ta break this to ya but ya gana need more den clubs
Old 01-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Funny stream here

Just to offer my experiences,

First off - I think this is a common duo (folks who like sw aquariums seem to be audiophiles as well) of course this is only my personal observation - no facts on this.

I have a 200W/channel system - good old stereo, McIntosh and SAE, and some Bob Carver stuff. I'm not sure why, but my fish don't seem to appear disturbed by it. I don't notice any response.

Quote:
I just want to add that water carries sound something like 10 or more times faster than air.
Not sure but I don't think that's really what you meant. I think what you meant is water is a better conductor of sound, i.e. sounds power will be transmitted further and with less loss in water then in air - perhaps by as much as 10 times better. The speed of sound is fixed (something like 600+ mph).

However, I am inclined to agree with Jackdp - I still can't imagine that they would like this. So I'm a little confused as what seems to make sense, seems to contridict what appears to be. Maybe SW fish just like good jazz - not sure what's up here.

Tom
Old 01-29-2004, 10:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I work for a sound and lighting company, maybe if I get the chance I will bring home some test equipment and mics and try to measure the spl outside the tank vs. inside the tank. It is true that water is a better conductor of sound than air, but that is for sounds that have originated in the water. <Hypothesis> While true that water is a better conductor of sounds originating in the water, a body ofwater may actually act to insulate those within it from the sounds outside.

Think of when your are in a swimming pool, you can hear a watch beep, or a person scream next to you quite well, but you can't hear a person on the deck much at all. Just thinking out loud right now...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi Jackdp,

Do it man - I'd certainly be interested - this is a unique line of questioning and investigation. Not even sure if the fish are so sensitive to sound. It seems they're not, because even if I drop something big in the room they don't even seem distracted, but is I make one small but quick and silent move they all shot in different directions.

Anyway - neat stuff - I haven't seen any lit on this.

Tom
Old 01-29-2004, 11:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Phiberop
Right on!!

I think that this is going to be a good topic to study. I would like to know the results of this test. It would beinteresting to know what the fish are going through when we are enjoying another great love and hobby.

Thanks and hope to see some test results.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:56 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to WildFlower
IMO if ya wana knot distrakt yur fischeees... sum kompromise shuld b aplied. It's kaled comon cense.... pay tension 2 yur liddle frends n yur tanc. ef theyere akting odd n donut seem quit rite maebe u shuld tern dwn the sownds just a tidt bit. udder wise injoy yur musik. 8)

May your tank prosper... WildFlower
Old 01-30-2004, 10:17 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
my better half has a sound system that beats the theaters his sub is less than a foot from the tank you can here his movies outside and the windows rattle the fish do not seem to act any different when he is watching. he claims they like it
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
tom:

I'm not quite sure why you have a Siamese Algae Eater hooked up to your receiver, but if it improves the sound let me know.

Jim

Tags
sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com