Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

here it is: my no filtration 90 gallon

Tell me what you think. Don't mind the encrusting coralline aglae on the glass. When I bought it you couldn't even see inside of it...but now with the Foxface, I don't spend too much time with my hands in there..which by the way...I love my Foxface. Perfect fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full90.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	66455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	66456  

Name:	Peekaboo.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	66457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mandarin.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	66460  

Old 12-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a few more
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	colt.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	66466   Click image for larger version

Name:	darkscen.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	66467  

Name:	Duster.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	66468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shrimp.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	66469  

Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The live rock acts as your filtration like it does in most other tanks. That said it looks very good. Sand bed looks very very clean
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know nothing about saltwater but your tank is awesome looking!! Very nice!! So you don't need a filter? What about those skimmer things? Sorry, no knowledge of SW but looking into it for my next setup.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you! As stated above, the live rock acts as a biological filtration media with the bacteria that will grow on all surfaces. This usually accounts for 80-90% of filtration. Skimmers And other filtration media will help keep water quality under control. I just do a few more water changes than usual. Plus I'm happy understocked, while most others want to overstock.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergie
Thank you! As stated above, the live rock acts as a biological filtration media with the bacteria that will grow on all surfaces. This usually accounts for 80-90% of filtration. Skimmers And other filtration media will help keep water quality under control. I just do a few more water changes than usual. Plus I'm happy understocked, while most others want to overstock.
Well I love your tank! Hopefully soon I will enter the SW zone! Thanks for the explanation also

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Every tank needs active filtration.

You have mandarin. Does it eat prepared foods? If not, you need a refugium or other source of pods.

The sump adds water volume and give you a place to store unsightly equipment like heaters and skimmers. What about a chiller? Will all this just feed into your display?

Why have you forgone filtration?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A filter would add surface area to where my benaficial bacteria could grow and take away particles of food or waste. But with a small bioload, my 130+ pounds of rock has enough bacteria to handle my bioload. The ocean doesnt run mechanical filtration, it gets new water constantly running through it so I do 3-4 small water changes a week taking away unwanted chemicals in my water plus 5-7 gallons of fresh top off water a week . I have a perfect CUC to where I never see feces or the like on any surface. I understand what mandarins need to eat and trust me, I do not NEED a fuge. I monitor my pod population closely and he has not even put the slightest dent in it. Both my mandarins waist and my pod population seem to be growing. I know a sump would add volume to my tank, to be honest, I have one...with a skimmer. But my intake and return pump won't run at the same time so I've gone without it. Also I have 7 fish in a 90 gallon tank so I'm fine with my volume. I think the only fish I worry about starvation with is my cleaner wrasse. The little guy has such a high metabolic rate, I'm forced to feed my tank shrimp every day.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

What kind of llights are you using and what brand bulb
Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

How can u watch the pod population aren't they really small

Tags
90 gallon, filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com