here it is: my no filtration 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tell me what you think. Don't mind the encrusting coralline aglae on the glass. When I bought it you couldn't even see inside of it...but now with the Foxface, I don't spend too much time with my hands in there..which by the way...I love my Foxface. Perfect fish.

Attachments

• full90.jpg
    full90.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Fox.jpg
    Fox.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Peekaboo.jpg
    Peekaboo.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Mandarin.jpg
    Mandarin.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 169
a few more

Attachments

• colt.jpg
    colt.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 160
  • darkscen.jpg
    darkscen.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Duster.jpg
    Duster.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 168
  • Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 243
The live rock acts as your filtration like it does in most other tanks. That said it looks very good. Sand bed looks very very clean

I know nothing about saltwater but your tank is awesome looking!! Very nice!! So you don't need a filter? What about those skimmer things? Sorry, no knowledge of SW but looking into it for my next setup.

Thank you! As stated above, the live rock acts as a biological filtration media with the bacteria that will grow on all surfaces. This usually accounts for 80-90% of filtration. Skimmers And other filtration media will help keep water quality under control. I just do a few more water changes than usual. Plus I'm happy understocked, while most others want to overstock.

Sergie said:
Thank you! As stated above, the live rock acts as a biological filtration media with the bacteria that will grow on all surfaces. This usually accounts for 80-90% of filtration. Skimmers And other filtration media will help keep water quality under control. I just do a few more water changes than usual. Plus I'm happy understocked, while most others want to overstock.

Well I love your tank! Hopefully soon I will enter the SW zone! Thanks for the explanation also :)

Every tank needs active filtration.

You have mandarin. Does it eat prepared foods? If not, you need a refugium or other source of pods.

The sump adds water volume and give you a place to store unsightly equipment like heaters and skimmers. What about a chiller? Will all this just feed into your display?

Why have you forgone filtration?

A filter would add surface area to where my benaficial bacteria could grow and take away particles of food or waste. But with a small bioload, my 130+ pounds of rock has enough bacteria to handle my bioload. The ocean doesnt run mechanical filtration, it gets new water constantly running through it so I do 3-4 small water changes a week taking away unwanted chemicals in my water plus 5-7 gallons of fresh top off water a week . I have a perfect CUC to where I never see feces or the like on any surface. I understand what mandarins need to eat and trust me, I do not NEED a fuge. I monitor my pod population closely and he has not even put the slightest dent in it. Both my mandarins waist and my pod population seem to be growing. I know a sump would add volume to my tank, to be honest, I have one...with a skimmer. But my intake and return pump won't run at the same time so I've gone without it. Also I have 7 fish in a 90 gallon tank so I'm fine with my volume. I think the only fish I worry about starvation with is my cleaner wrasse. The little guy has such a high metabolic rate, I'm forced to feed my tank shrimp every day.

I have a corallife 2x 150 metal halide fixture with power compacts. 1 power compact is purple purple, the other is purple blue. I don't know how old these metal halide bulbs are but I'm planning on getting some HQI 150 20k bulbs to bring out the blues. I've been running this way for almost three months. I'm keeping an eye on my tank. It's sort of been an expirement for now. If it comes down to it I'll try to fix my sump. Even then I ran it for 3 months with only a skimmer and my current equipment. Also I can see pods on my glass running around.

3 months isn't very long,,i'd be curious to see how its going after 9 months to a year from now...I'm not criticizing you or anything ,,and i think so far it sounds and looks good(y)...

Yes I know it's not very long. I'm going to ride it out...and I do have my sump I can fix if it takes a wrong turn.

Pods are small but can be seen with the naked eye. Some also grow relatively large.

Yes, and it is to my understanding that they feed mostly in the smaller ones. Which is what my glass is plagued with. But I also see the larger ones at night. Everywhere.

looks really nice, I run a similar system, but with macro in a sump. I pulled my skimmer a little over a year ago, and everything is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom