hermit crab ate my turbo snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm uncertain whether the smallest of my 3 turbos died, adn then was eaten, or if the hermit crab killed it.

Either way, the crab has removed the snail from the shell, and has now taken up occupancy inside the shell.

Should I be worried?

This was supposed to be a blue legged hermit crab...but his legs are blood red.

what should I do? :?

What you have described is nature at work. Its how they hermits survive in the wild. Blue legged hermits are also notorious for going after snails for their shells. But that's odd that your blue legged hermit has red legs. It could possible be a scarlet hermit?

You can start by making sure that there are a variety of shells in different sizes to help discourage the rampant killing by hermits. (check your local craft store or walmart- you can pick up a bag of unvarnished shells for cheap, just biol before you put in your tank)
You can also try by making sure that there is a huge size difference between your hermits and snails. (I forget which one they suggest to get bigger...)

HTH

I had at one time 10 BIG turbo snails until I bought 24 crabs...Now I have 1 turbo left!! And the crabs werent after the shells either!! Shells were way to big!!!

Typically, the snail falls off the glass onto the sand bed. On sand, they have a terrible time trying to flip themselves back over and they are sitting ducks for the hermits...who will pick at them mercilessly.

Yes, they will often move into the empty shell when done, but I think their main motivation for the murder is food.

They are your cleanup crew and they did you a favour by eating the snail before it started to foul your tank. I don't think hermits are that cunning that they wait till noone is looking and then attack snails LOL, unless you actually saw what happened it's more than likely the snail just fell over.

How large do blue hermits get? because this red one is BIG. since he's primarily in his shell, I can only guess that his main body is the diameter of a dime...while the rest of my blue hermits are a fifth that size...maybe 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch in diameter.

something's fishy...err...crabby...

Nevermind, looked up a profile: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/m-inverts/Scarlet-Hermit-Crab.html

this appears to be what he is, while most of the others are actual small, blue-legged hermit crabs.

doesn't sound the scarlet's are vicious. I was told my tank was too small for 3 turbos...that they'd starve. Looks like this one may have been on his way out, fell into the sand, died, and the crab got him.

I have a blue that is getting huge. He is 2" wide now, more than doubled his size in the last 10 months. In fact I am trying to find some bigger shells for him. Beautiful animal IMO.

It depends if it's a dwarf blue legged or a regular one.. either way they are some of the most interesting critters around. I love watching mine.

Back
Top Bottom