Hermit crab dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home earlier to find my hermit crab out of its shell and dead on the sand! I have 2 clowns 1 lawn mower beany some snails and a peppermint Shrimp. Also have 2 other hermits. Any ideas what killed it??

What are the actual reading though ok could be anything?

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5-10. Salt levels are fine

If there are more then 1 crap In the tank and not enough empty shells available for the growing crab to move into they will fight and kill for the shell.
Crabs are ok scavengers but very aggressive .
I would bet huge money to say if you have another in there it was a fight for the shell , and the one you see without the shell loss
Provide many different sized empty shells for them to move into .
It's pretty cool watching them .

I have found the shell. The other two are slightly bigger and in there own shells. Plus there are some other shells to move into.his shell is in a hole in the rock , I'm wondering if he got stuck and crawled out of his shell

Right, now this is totally strange! What I thought was an empty shell contains a hermit crab! Now all three are accounted for :/ what I took out was 100% a hermit crab! Or was it something in live rock that was half eaten by a hermit. Had white claws and blue legs........ Strange

Thinking about it do they shed there skin? That would explain it.

Back
Top Bottom