Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Hermit crab Hostility!

I have a hermit in my tank that wont stay away from my star polyps, I don't know what the deal is, is he eating them? or what? I take him off and place him on the other side of the tank and 5 mins later he's sitting on top of the polyps again...

what should I do? he's the only hermit in my tank that does this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0089_516.jpg (56.2 KB, 34 views)
__________________

__________________
Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,244
Make sure he is messing with the star polyps. Sometimes hermits do go bad but sometimes they are eating algea or fish waste that happens to fall on the polyps. If you have a sump you could put him in there or take him back to the LFS.
__________________

__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
Make sure he is messing with the star polyps. Sometimes hermits do go bad but sometimes they are eating algea or fish waste that happens to fall on the polyps. If you have a sump you could put him in there or take him back to the LFS.

I just have a 24 gal nano ill keep pulling him off of the polyps, maybe he's a smart crab and will get the hint...it just appeared to me he was spending too much time to be doing any "good" lol.
__________________
Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: not here anymore
Posts: 5,338
Are the polyps new to the tank? If so, I think Melosu58 might be right in that it's just cleaning it off. When I put a new colony of zoanthids in my tank, a couple of my hermits did the same as yours. Eventually, I gave up and let them have their ways. After a few days they left it alone.
__________________
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson
Are the polyps new to the tank? If so, I think Melosu58 might be right in that it's just cleaning it off. When I put a new colony of zoanthids in my tank, a couple of my hermits did the same as yours. Eventually, I gave up and let them have their ways. After a few days they left it alone.
Yes, the polyp is new, thanks for the advice! I'm crossing my fingers he's not munching on it :P
__________________
Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 47
I have quite a few hermits in my tank and there is 1 in particular that has set up home on top of a large (2kg) star polyp cover rock.

He sometimes doesnt move for days. I know he is not eating the polyps because they are so dense and lush that you sometimes cannot even see his shell through them, no bald patches at all. The polyps dont seem to mind either, they dont even close when he is busying himself.
__________________
Snotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Boston, New York
Posts: 62
I would agree its eating some algae or something within the colony and would not worry about it unless you actually see damage to the colony itself.
__________________
GO SABRES!
KurtsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotman
I have quite a few hermits in my tank and there is 1 in particular that has set up home on top of a large (2kg) star polyp cover rock.

He sometimes doesnt move for days. I know he is not eating the polyps because they are so dense and lush that you sometimes cannot even see his shell through them, no bald patches at all. The polyps dont seem to mind either, they dont even close when he is busying himself.

hah! good to hear...I hope mine is doing something similar!
__________________
Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 47
Some crabs are obviosly more intelligent than others. The one on the polyp rock has found himself an untapped resource that will feed him for weeks whilst the rest of the crowd are busy beating each other up in "Who can pull who from their shell" contests!

Lovely empty shell sitting on the sand and 2 idiots are next to it wrestling, then wander off. I think I may have accidently raised the Hermit equivelent to the WWF. I do have a Halloween with a mask on, he could pass for Kane
__________________
Snotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotman
Some crabs are obviosly more intelligent than others. The one on the polyp rock has found himself an untapped resource that will feed him for weeks whilst the rest of the crowd are busy beating each other up in "Who can pull who from their shell" contests!

Lovely empty shell sitting on the sand and 2 idiots are next to it wrestling, then wander off. I think I may have accidently raised the Hermit equivelent to the WWF. I do have a Halloween with a mask on, he could pass for Kane

LMFAOOOooo! Off the top ropes, SHELLRAIZER!
__________________

__________________
Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crab, hermit, hermit crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Hermit Crab... What Do I Need To Know? TheChad Saltwater Reef Aquaria 9 02-10-2006 12:59 PM
hermit crab ID ringfinger Saltwater & Reef - Identification 1 01-12-2006 05:55 PM
Hitchhiker crab ate my red hermit crab! zenn Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 3 11-12-2005 11:27 AM
Hermit Crab ? thanew Saltwater & Reef - Identification 4 03-11-2005 08:05 PM
Did the hermit crab eat the horseshoe crab? tigger Saltwater Reef Aquaria 10 10-07-2003 01:07 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.