Hermit crab Hostility!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonez

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a hermit in my tank that wont stay away from my star polyps, I don't know what the deal is, is he eating them? or what? I take him off and place him on the other side of the tank and 5 mins later he's sitting on top of the polyps again...

what should I do? he's the only hermit in my tank that does this!

Attachments

• img_0089_516.jpg
    img_0089_516.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 40
Make sure he is messing with the star polyps. Sometimes hermits do go bad but sometimes they are eating algea or fish waste that happens to fall on the polyps. If you have a sump you could put him in there or take him back to the LFS.

melosu58 said:
Make sure he is messing with the star polyps. Sometimes hermits do go bad but sometimes they are eating algea or fish waste that happens to fall on the polyps. If you have a sump you could put him in there or take him back to the LFS.

I just have a 24 gal nano :x ill keep pulling him off of the polyps, maybe he's a smart crab and will get the hint...it just appeared to me he was spending too much time to be doing any "good" lol.

Are the polyps new to the tank? If so, I think Melosu58 might be right in that it's just cleaning it off. When I put a new colony of zoanthids in my tank, a couple of my hermits did the same as yours. Eventually, I gave up and let them have their ways. After a few days they left it alone.

Kurt_Nelson said:
Are the polyps new to the tank? If so, I think Melosu58 might be right in that it's just cleaning it off. When I put a new colony of zoanthids in my tank, a couple of my hermits did the same as yours. Eventually, I gave up and let them have their ways. After a few days they left it alone.

Yes, the polyp is new, thanks for the advice! I'm crossing my fingers he's not munching on it :p

I have quite a few hermits in my tank and there is 1 in particular that has set up home on top of a large (2kg) star polyp cover rock.

He sometimes doesnt move for days. I know he is not eating the polyps because they are so dense and lush that you sometimes cannot even see his shell through them, no bald patches at all. The polyps dont seem to mind either, they dont even close when he is busying himself.

I would agree its eating some algae or something within the colony and would not worry about it unless you actually see damage to the colony itself.

Snotman said:
I have quite a few hermits in my tank and there is 1 in particular that has set up home on top of a large (2kg) star polyp cover rock.

He sometimes doesnt move for days. I know he is not eating the polyps because they are so dense and lush that you sometimes cannot even see his shell through them, no bald patches at all. The polyps dont seem to mind either, they dont even close when he is busying himself.

hah! good to hear...I hope mine is doing something similar!

Some crabs are obviosly more intelligent than others. The one on the polyp rock has found himself an untapped resource that will feed him for weeks whilst the rest of the crowd are busy beating each other up in "Who can pull who from their shell" contests!

Lovely empty shell sitting on the sand and 2 idiots are next to it wrestling, then wander off. I think I may have accidently raised the Hermit equivelent to the WWF. I do have a Halloween with a mask on, he could pass for Kane :D

Snotman said:
Some crabs are obviosly more intelligent than others. The one on the polyp rock has found himself an untapped resource that will feed him for weeks whilst the rest of the crowd are busy beating each other up in "Who can pull who from their shell" contests!

Lovely empty shell sitting on the sand and 2 idiots are next to it wrestling, then wander off. I think I may have accidently raised the Hermit equivelent to the WWF. I do have a Halloween with a mask on, he could pass for Kane :D

LMFAOOOooo! Off the top ropes, SHELLRAIZER!

Bonez said:
Snotman said:

LMFAOOOooo! Off the top ropes, SHELLRAIZER!

:D :D

Ive Started to name some of my hermits following this thread ! Last night I watched "Shellcold Steve Crabclaw" throw ""Rick Claw" of the very top of my 3 tier reef rack!! I even heard the impact as he hit some rock below. Its getting a bit violent in there !!! Anyone think a plastic cage match is going too far?

Back
Top Bottom