hermit crab questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MABJ

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all!

I've decided I'm officially dng my first salt water tank. But I want it to be small.

The only thing I'd like to stock is one or two hermit crabs.

This is where I'll get my experience and hopefully progress from here.

A few questions.

Are they comfortable alone? Or are multiple necessary?

Will the tank go through a big cycle?

Can I keep one crab in .5 gallons to itself? Or should I go 2.5 gallons?

I'd love to start this soon, but I'm doing ample research before I buy anything. So advice: begin!

Bigger is better, even for hermits. I just stated this on another thread so I'll say it again: I'm usually the one running around telling people nanos aren't that hard and if you take the time out to work on it it's easy as a larger system. But a tank this small is aksing for trouble. Any small swing in a tank this size would be disaterous, added you'll be topping off at least once a day.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a standard 10G, it's probably the same price or cheaper than one of those smaller tanks, and it'll be way easier to maintain

:( 10g not an option. Lol. Its small and its gotta stay small.

But if I put a piece of live rock in there and cycled the tank, wouldn't it be fine?

I understand risks and stuff. But the things I have have lids and I'm not worried about maintenance because I work a lot around the house.

So I guess my question would be, what fluctuations are you talking about? And would it go through a cycle? Any other opinions on this?

It would definitely go through a cycle, which you would do a fishless cycle of course. Temp and salinity fluctuations and with tops a pH flux would be my worries

The problem isn't that the tank wouldn't by cycled, but with all the evaporation, your salinity would swing rapidly over the course of the day.

I kept a 3 for a while and I literally topped off at LEAST twice a day. My hermits did fine but it was a pain to keep the tank in check for them.

Hmm the temp is the least of the worries, and I am positive of my ability to keep salinity and water level in check!

A side note, what temp do they like?

Okay after those two issues, what is left to be concerned of?

Back
Top Bottom