Hermit crab vs coral branded shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iceman72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just woke up to see a little red legged hermit crab having breakfast! He ripped the poor shrimp in half and is going to town between these rocks. I didn't know they would react like this. Is this normal? I just got that shrimp yesterday:-(ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394286984.563653.jpg

I doubt the hermits killed it but once it was dead they did what they do. How did you acclimate the shrimp?

Dripped for about 2 hours. He seemed fine all day yesterday. Was moving around tank fine. But the lights went out and that's what I found. The crazy part is that he was still fighting and the crab was laying on top of him cutting him in pieces.

I hop it is. Maybe I will see him when I get home from work.

I just find it hard to believe that the hermits could kill a CBS let alone catch one

Well I looked over my whole tank and no shrimp. So unless something went down when I wasn't watching the shrimp is gone. He was all over the tank yesterday until this morning.

When they molt, they tend to hide since their outer shell is very soft and they are vulnerable to predators. They usually do so for a couple days. Are you adding food for the crabs and shrimp?

I feed the tank pellets, shrimp and flakes. I alternate those.

Back
Top Bottom