Hermit crabs and pods: can they be friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll be moving soon, which is a great opportunity for me to get all of my hermit crabs out of my display tank. Their murderous reign of tyranny over innocent snails shall come to an end.

I was thinking about putting them in my refugium. I think they will do well there except for one reservation. I have a nice population of pods down there that I'd like to keep going. Even though my mandarin is in the display tank, I think it's a good idea to try and support the population that's in the refugium as well.

Will red algae hermit crabs eliminate the population of pods that I have down there? What about my ball of chaeto? (I'd like to think they wouldn't touch that) If so, I'll probably just take them to a fish store and give them away. If not, I think I'll keep them down there.

You can keep them there but you`ll need probably to feed them every once in a while. They might not get that much food down there.

They'll find food that comes down from the display, but depending on how many you have they may predate each other more than they would in the DT. I did the same with my hermits and some survived and my pod population kept my mandarin fat and happy. Hermits only live a year or two, so mine are long gone now.

Feeding them is no problem, I can do that. It's good to know that I can keep them.

It's also good to know that I can start keeping snails in my display tank again. Those crabs aren't doing jack for keeping my sand bed stirred up, and I don't have any more problems with algae on my rocks.

Thanks for the help... that was fast. :)

I'm not sure or have any scientific research at hand, but I believe crabs can't even catch a pod. I think they will not present any problems down there.

Kurt, you should have a talk with that hermit, but you may need to SHOUT. Hearing loss is common with advanced age :)

I can't find my source for the lifespan statement, probably one of the online stores, so I stand corrected. I know that land hermits have a very long lifespan.

Well, I did spy a hermit crab eating a pod down in the refugium, but it was more than likely already dead before the crab got to it -- I'd be very surprised if every single pod lived through that move.

Back
Top Bottom