Hermit crabs died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdogeder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all I had a half dozen red hermit crabs in my tank three of them fell off of my live rocks upside down and died. Are there Amy other snails or crabs I can use in the tank instead of the hermits to clean up? Thanks in advance as always for the great advice.

so they just dropped dead? or did they fall and end up dead due to falling from their backs? I have hermits fall all the time and it doesn't matter how they land, they just flip right back up

They fell on their backs and couldn't flip over. I am afraid I am afraid if I get more the same will happen and was wondering if there were other options

It might had just been bad luck due to the crabs having shells that were a bit too large. You could always do emerald crabs ( scavengers), nassarius snails (cleans sand), turbo snails (algae eaters), nerite snails (scavengers).

If you want shrimps: cleaner shrimps (cleans fish), fire shrimp (cleans and scavenges some meaty stuff)

Thank you. They fell off the back side of my lr and were trapped upside down when I pulled the shells out they were upside down but wedged between the rock and the glass in the back of the tank. I have 2 turbo snails and 3 peppermint shrimp that are doing fine. I think I will give the other snails you mentioned a shot.

Back
Top Bottom