Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Hermit Crabs Don't Molt... Do They?

Hey all,

Today I turned on the light to our tank and found what looked like our hermit crabs dead body (with out the shell). So naturally I take a look at the shell, and to my suprize He is in the shell.

I pulled out the dead body and it was definitly the hermit crab. So that brings on the question... Do Hermit crabs molt?

We only have this one hermit crab. When we first got him he would walk around a little and pick threw the rocks, but for the last about week, he has found a spot under a rock and doesn't move. I pulled him out from under the rock a few days ago to make sure he was still alive, and even though I didn't see him come out of his shell, sure enough he was back under the rock the next day.

I have not seen him fully out of the shell in over a week, I just see his claws out of the bottom of the shell..

TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to tcarola154
yes they molt, and he probably hasnt been out much because he was working on doing just that...

Beware the clapping monkey...
tcarola154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
You may want to place some additional larger empty shells in there so he can move into them as he grows.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
It's hard being a crab you know...
CMD26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to dscount Send a message via Yahoo to dscount
LFS is good about having a ton of shells extra. I just smooze them for like a 6-12 for a buck. Heck I even get the ones with some coraline on them. Talk about a deal for a buck. Those go into my canister instead.
75gal Salt, 18gal Sump, Skimmer, 60lb Live Rock, 90lb Live Sand, 3 Pwrhd, 2x55w Actinic, 2x55w 10k. Guest list: Goby Green Clown, Percula Clown and entire clean up crew.
dscount is offline   Reply With Quote

crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs, molt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com