Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-22-2006, 01:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Hermit crabs. Yes or No??

I have about had it with my crabs. There are about 6 small red or blue leg crabs in a 37 gallon. They kill all my snails. I have seen them grab a piece of fresh "Prime Reef" as it floats along the bottom. They check it out and let it go. Why eat frozen food when there are tasty snails. What are you experiences with the little buggers?? R

rickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have Blue and Red Leg no problems at all. I also Have alot of Empty shells in the tank. I see them eat Brine Shrimp ever so often. I also have 2 Emarlds and nothing. The only thing I see is that My cleaner chasing my Peppermints.

55gallons, emperor 400 hang on filter, 150watts heater, Coralife 256watt light, 60 LB Live Sand, 43 LB Live Rock, ProClear Aquatics Pro 150 Wet/Dry Filter with Skimmer, 12 Blue Leg Hermit Crab, 2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp , 1 Algae Blenny, 3 Green chromis, 3 Peppermint Shrimp, 4 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crab, 1 Porcelain Anemone Crab, 1 Feather Duster, True Bulb Anemone, 3 Ocellaris Clownfish, 15 Margarita
Snails, 2 Nudibranch, 6 Astraea, 5 cerith snails and 1 Japanese Pistol Shrimp. Updated 02/02/06
Choas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Like mentioned, hermits needs plenty of empty shells to move around into. Without them, your snails are gonna be targeted. I have hermits in two of my tanks and they may pick off a snail here and there but it's not a mad massacre event since they have plenty of liverock to graze on and plenty of shells to play with.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
i have reds and blues and they kill about 2-3 snails a week. i have plenty of shells and they dont even mess with them. ive had one crab move into the empty snail shells but that it. i started feeding them dried seaweed (since they no longer pay attention to my live rock) and it seems to have slowed them down a bit.i have about 10 reds and 40 blues so i think my situation is over stocking. they are in a 55.

also at a buck a piece, i look at it as cheap food for the crabs.
dorian965 is offline   Reply With Quote

crab, crabs, hermit, hermit crab, hermit crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com