Hermit crabs. Yes or No??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have about had it with my crabs. There are about 6 small red or blue leg crabs in a 37 gallon. They kill all my snails. I have seen them grab a piece of fresh "Prime Reef" as it floats along the bottom. They check it out and let it go. Why eat frozen food when there are tasty snails. What are you experiences with the little buggers?? R

I have Blue and Red Leg no problems at all. I also Have alot of Empty shells in the tank. I see them eat Brine Shrimp ever so often. I also have 2 Emarlds and nothing. The only thing I see is that My cleaner chasing my Peppermints.

Like mentioned, hermits needs plenty of empty shells to move around into. Without them, your snails are gonna be targeted. I have hermits in two of my tanks and they may pick off a snail here and there but it's not a mad massacre event since they have plenty of liverock to graze on and plenty of shells to play with.

i have reds and blues and they kill about 2-3 snails a week. i have plenty of shells and they dont even mess with them. ive had one crab move into the empty snail shells but that it. i started feeding them dried seaweed (since they no longer pay attention to my live rock) and it seems to have slowed them down a bit.i have about 10 reds and 40 blues so i think my situation is over stocking. they are in a 55. :?

also at a buck a piece, i look at it as cheap food for the crabs. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom