Hermit Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All my hermits seem to be huddled up on one rock tonight like their scared of something, I counted 9 in one hole huddled together, think something could be stalking them or is this normal, This is the first time i have witnessed this behavier from them.

when i throw algae wafers in the tank my hermits will huddle like that around them, and will be there for like hours later...could they have been feeding on something?

Mine hang out together like that on occasion, too, showing no signs of life at all. Then, all of a sudden, they're off and running (around 5pm each day). The other day, two of them were wrestling for a few minutes.

I ordered some new shells, as I'm not sure how often/when they need to move into larger digs, or what the behavior is that leads up to the move.

Right now, I only see one. The others are hidden in holes in the rocks, I guess. We'll see later when the lights come on.

Strange occurance, though. There are remnants of what appears to be a dead crab, but since all of my hermits are accounted for, and there are no stray shells, I have NO IDEA where it came from. I have to think it was in the LR when I got it from the LFS. I can't tell for sure if it was a hermit, but the legs have the same red color, and it appears to be a crab. I can't explain this any more than I can explain a 7-armed micro star that appears on the back glass every few days. (Looks kind of like one of those wagon-wheel pastas).

There are remnants of what appears to be a dead crab, but since all of my hermits are accounted for, and there are no stray shells

That is probably a molt...looks just like the hermit crab

Back
Top Bottom