Hermit Without a Shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin_Toronto

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, looks like I ran out of large enough shells for my hermits, they've left all the smaller shells behind, and I saw two of them fighting a few days ago, literally pulling one another out of their shells.

Well now, I have one hermit without a shell, he's wedged himself in a nook of my liverock and refuses to expose himself, he sits there filtering any food that comes his way, with his claws extended. (Hermits are quite ugly and interesting created without their shells I've found... their bodies are contorted in such akward angles.)

Anyway, I plan on getting some larger shells tomorrow, but how will I get him to find the new shells if he refuse to leave his little nook in the rock? Do I risk injuring him if I force him out? (His body looks extremely soft...)

Wow! That's pretty cool that you got to see one without a shell. It's something I've always wondered about!

I'd just lay a couple empty shells next to the little guy's hiding spot. I'm thinking he'll make a dash for one in the middle of the night. I wouldn't force him out - if he wants to live life naked, I'd let him.

I have a monster hermit that comes almost all the way out of its shell, I will post some pics. As far as your hermit I would let him be, he will find a shell.

When I get back home I'll see if I can get a good picture of him... ugly little thing without a shell. I thought he was dead at first because he looked so fleshy.

Okay, well nevermind that then.
I'm back home... someone ate him for lunch. Bits and pieces of blue leg hermit all around the area.

Here u go! If anyone is interested in housing this beast let me know, I will only charge shipping.

Think he'll play nice with a 6" mantis:D Maybe they could be friends. My mantis has taken down everything thrown at her so far, I thought a racquetball sized turbo snail could take it....I was wrong;)

Back
Top Bottom