Hermits killing feather duster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is is normal for my Hermit crabs to be killing my feather dusters? This is the 2nd one I bought - only to be killed by the crabs.

I don't have either, but don't believe that hermits go after dusters. They are opportunistic eaters and will go after snails or jsut about anything that is dead, decaying, dying, etc.

I actually goofed... it is my Emerald crab that was going after it... i know it was him... the last couple days when I was watching my duster (totally exposed and healther) - the emerald kept picking at it and making it close.

So today I just figured the emerald was annoying it so it was closed - but after hours of the duster being like that I started probing... to find out it's dead!

Now on a side note my MEXICAN crabs are picking at my leather finger... I moved my finger and hope that will help.

ya def. not the hermits. i have 12 of them and they dont touch my duster. try giving your crabs something els to pick at. maybe try shuving some krill or shrimp in an empty shell and puting it near them. they will quickly be distracted and fill up and hopefully leaving your duster alone

Just about any crab is a potential threat to other invertebrates. I have my doubts with the emerald crab killing it and most likely it was already succumbing (starvation perhaps?): Shall we say, wrong place at wrong time for the emerald. I have; however, seen a variety of hermit crabs (even the "peaceful" scarlet reds) rip/chew a hole through the sheath in order to pick at the actual animal on top of picking at healthy snails, corals, serpent stars, etc. Misfits I tell you!

Back
Top Bottom