Hey guys i got a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carson24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I went to this really nice lfs last night and I was asking what how long I should wait for anemones and he said over a year I have heard six months but he said after it cycles there are a bunch of other cycles I just finished my cycle and got two clowns is it true I will need to wait that long for the Cool stuff

I put an anemone in my tank after 4 months and I have had him going onto 2 years now. I just purchased a 112gallon and after a month put him in and he is just fine. Depends on water parameters and up to you. You risk it dying for sure, but if your water parameters are ok you could start off with a BTA after 6 months.

not unless you're doing something wrong there shouldnt be any more. and i would say wait 1 year for a nem, you can add corals though if youre looking for something for the clowns to host in. try a hammer or frogspawn for them

Alright that's basically what I want haha. I just want more color in my tank but the guy said other then the nitrogen cycle there are other kind ofcycles. U have never heard of this??

I actually think you got good advice. A rarity from the LFS and that would make me shop there.

I'd also ask myself if getting a nem was right for me considering that I would undoubtedly be reducing it's lifespan for my own enjoyment. That's just me though. Make sure you have the light and water stability to support it.

HN1 u r not listening I'm asking if there are more cycles lol I wasn't planing on getting one now just wondering how long I should wait. I read alot of stuff online everyday about saltwater and I have never heard of more cycles so I'm wondering if I am missing something????

The algae cycles and the other microorganisms take time to level off... the biggest part is, your tank needs to find a balance with all elements coming in and out of the tank. I would say if you have a stable system with nitrates staying balanced and you don't have a bunch of algae blooms then your tank is stable... I would say minimum 6 months but only if you are lucky... most will take a year and some people never get a balanced schedule and are never fit for an anemone. Good documentation of what is happening in the tank along with weekly water tests will help you to determine when it is safe for an anemone.

I hope that answers your question and best of luck.
(these statements are a collection of what I know/believe they have not been verified by the elite members of AA :D )

HN1 u r not listening I'm asking if there are more cycles lol I wasn't planing on getting one now just wondering how long I should wait. I read alot of stuff online everyday about saltwater and I have never heard of more cycles so I'm wondering if I am missing something????

Clearly not. I was reading. More cycles? Define cycle. Are you typing about the nitrogen cycle or the cycle of life?

SW tanks do go through periods (let's call them phases) where a particular algae is present or pods are heavy, etc. Those could be called cycles, but typically "cycle" refers to the establishment of bacteria required to consume nitrogenous wastes.

Carson24 said:

You are worried about "cycles" and you ignore the information given about nems not being a good idea in the first place.

Fine, yes, there are three more cyles. You should be ready in 14 more weeks provided you start dosing two part.

I personally think that the tank needs to be about a yr old also. I believe your LFS gave you some pretty good advice.

Lol ok thankyou that's what I wanted to to know. Cause with the cycle u have to add ammonia and I didn't know if there were things I had to do

Just try to keep a good maintenance schedule and continually monitor parameters. A good thing to do is to keep an aquarium journal. Every week when you do your water change you also do a complete water test/check temperatures and write it all down. Every time you add a fish or change a filter or modify a flow... even repositioning a powerhead or see something odd, a change in food volume/type are good things to write the date/time of when they were done. That way in three weeks when something starts to go wrong you can look back on the records and see what has changed and maybe have an easy fix.

After your initial cycle and bacteria boom there are no other "cycles" per say, just the tank maturing over time. You local LFS is correct and a year is about the right time for an anemone. I didnt listen and got one after 4months, I have been lucky so far, but I also watched my parameters before adding it to my tank. My parameters have always been ideal, in my 46 gallon and now in my 112. Good water quality always helps.

For now I would get a good size frog spawn for about $40. Very easy to keep, pretty to look at and your clowns will take to it as well. My clowns go back and forth between my frog spawn and my anemone.

Back
Top Bottom