Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi!!!

I just joined. I have a new 52g aquarium with about 30 pounds of live rock and about another 20 pounds of base rock that I assume is slowly becoming live rock. I have an eheim 2717 filter and a homemade recirculation pump moving about 500 GPH.

I'll probably have a ton of questions over the next few weeks. Their is a similar francophone site in Québec but the amount of information available there is nothing compared to this site. From what I've seen, this place is amazing. Friendly, informative, helpful, etc. Way to go!

My aquarium has finished cycling, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and a touch (10-15PPM) of nitrates. I've introduced an algae blenny who is kiss cleaning my aquarium although I never get to actually see him/her doing it

Anyhoo, one quick question to get the ball rolling, how can I confirm that my live rock is indeed live. I mean aside from green hair algae on the rocks and hundreds of red spots (coraline?), what tells me it's actually live? I don't see anything crawling aound in my aquarium even when I try and sneak up on it with a flashlight at night.

And one of them keeps bubling. Every now and then, every two-three minutes actually, a small buble can be seen rising to the surface. I assume this is either CO2 or O2 depending on what is actually going on in there.

Kets

Old 05-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

LR is a generic term, there are many things that make rock live, the most common indicator of "good" lr is the presence of macro life on the rock, be it; macro algae, coral polyps, coraline algae, pods and worms etc...

I would imagine that your LR has some trapped air in it, and as time passes it is escaping.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Thanks

LR is a generic term, there are many things that make rock live, the most common indicator of "good" lr is the presence of macro life on the rock, be it; macro algae, coral polyps, coraline algae, pods and worms etc...

Hmm, haven't seen any pods or worms and I have been keeping an eye out for them. As for the rest, macro algae, coraline, any idea where I can find an image to see what it's supposed to look like?

I would imagine that your LR has some trapped air in it, and as time passes it is escaping.
Well, considering it has been immersed for several weeks now and it has been bubbling consistently for the last week or two, I really doubt it would be entrapped air. I may have thought that if it had occured the first week, but it didn't.

Kets
Old 05-19-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

ah, it's a new development. It could be releasing nitrogen gas produced through denitrification, or there is air being introduced to the rock somehow, air bubbler, midro bubbles in the tank etc...CO2 would dissolve in the water pretty easily and doubtful you'd see it rising through the water column.

Old 05-19-2004, 01:56 PM   #5

Hmm, haven't seen any pods or worms and I have been keeping an eye out for them. As for the rest, macro algae, coraline, any idea where I can find an image to see what it's supposed to look like?

Robert AKA Kets
Old 05-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to bungle
welcome, kets!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:23 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Well macro algae looks like algae, LOL.

Might do a google images search on macro algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com