Hi Alk ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm dosing my tank with tech m in hopes of ridding my briopsis problem. My alkalinity is normally 11dkh or so. Since I've been dosing, it's gone up to 12.9. My calcium is 400 and ph is 8.2.. Should I be concerned about the higher alk levels. My fish and inverts seem to be unaffected.

The only thing that will suffer will be stuff that might see more carbonate build up. Equipment. Nothing to worry about. The mag is "protecting" the carbonates from binding with the calcium and precipitating out of solution. You should also see a rise in calcium as well. If you are dosing calcium and carbonates you might try cutting back a bit and save some money. If you don't dose other than mag right now there should be no Ill affect due to the rise in levels.

Dosing mag, should lower alk.. Keep an eye on it. I'm betting its going to drop on you.. I was doing the same and found it before it was too late. My alk dropped to 6 and killed 5 if my sps'

If you dosed too much Alk, water changes will drop it, if you don't dosed anything, then It means your salt is high in Alk.

Are you using RODI water ? Alk can come from the tap is you don't RODI...

You're right jj. my alk started going down. Checked it tonight and it's at 8.6 Still dosing the tech m for the bryopsis so is there anything I can do to keep the alk numbers up and what is the lowest safe level for alk? I only have soft corals if that makes a difference.

Not sure on softies. Maybe no lower than 7 or 8.. Do you have any baking soda? Mix a teaspoon in some saltwater and slowly.. Slowly add it in to your tank and keep an eye on levels.. I am not sure if raising your alk will lower your mag..

kind of a double edged sword. trying to keep one thing up and the other goes down. I hope this dosing works on my bryopsis though.

Yup. I hear ya.. I started kent tech m. But I didn't know alk was dropping. Killed 5 sps' I stopped dosing. Bought more turbos. And started tooth rushing it out.. Is it bryopsis or hair algae?

It has feathery
tips so I'm guessing its bryopsis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

kind of a double edged sword. trying to keep one thing up and the other goes down. I hope this dosing works on my bryopsis though.
That's why they call it the "balancing act". Here is something to keep in mind. Alk and Cal have a reverse effect on one another, Meaning dosing Alk would reduce Calc and vice versa. While the Mag is like a fuel to make those 2 work together. In other words, with low Mag your dosing will be ineffective and parameter may get worse.

Back
Top Bottom