Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-27-2003, 03:27 PM   #11
The 175's would be enough however, I would have mentioned 250's but you had mentioned that you had 2-175's already, so I went with what you had. Regardles of if you go with 175's or 250's, you will want the actinics to provide the blue spectrum. Also, they make good dawn/dusk lights. Run them 1 hour before the MH and 1 hour after. The 5.5K bulbs will be rather yellow like FishFreek said, You will probably want to go no less than 6.5K. I like the look of 6.5K with Actinics.

If you get the 250's, you want to sell the 175's? I am looking to add 2 -175's to my tank. PM me if you do.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
actually user:craque has the 175s I currently don't have any MHs. I am gathering information on what to get once I setup my tank. I just don't know much about MHs and how much is needed. Your advice of 2ft by 2ft area is a good one. I do understand that the 5k is more yellowish but in the [url =http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/ltg_bulb_color.htm]Lighting Page[/url] at least the wife liked how the yellows showed up better. It seemed to make the aquarium more vibrant and clear. Many of the other pictures are more "blue" in color (especially the corallife ones). If these pics are not accurate as to the final product then, I will just have to work from 6k+ on the bulbs. I'll keep researching sites on MH vs VHO.

If anyone has a few links to sites in their favs section. Let me know, it will just save me a bit of time.

EDIT: Gratz on your Advisor-ship Timbo

125gal Reef
55gal sump
AquaC EV-120 Skimmer
Arctica 1/4hp Chiller
3 x 250W MH 10K and 2 x 165W VHO Actinics
mulron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 10:21 PM   #13
I have taken quite a few pics of my tank and adjusted the camera to get the look I wanted. I did not change the lights. Do not be fooled by the looks on website. However, if you can trust me, I would not recommend anything less than 6500K...JMHO

Also, if you can read a schematic and wire electrical stuff, it is much cheaper to do it yourself.. I know that at electrical supply places you can get 250 watt MH ballasts for around $60 and then $6 for the Mogul Socket, $10 for polished alluminum to make a reflector, and $59 each for the bulbs, $25 for wiring, and $20 for fans, and you save $250 off of what it cost for prefab kits or retro kits...
There are lots of sites with info on DIY for MH lighting...
Old 04-27-2003, 11:02 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
One thing that has not been mentioned in any of the posts to date that I have read on lighting upgrades is the increased evaporation. The extra heat will add to the evap some, but the fans will really make it take off. The 180 I set up at the eyecare center has 640w of VHO and two 4" fans. It evaps about 3 1/2 gallons a day. That's up from 1 gal every two days when it was a FO with NO lighting and no fans. Something to consider...especially if your tank is in a small room where the higher humidity might be a problem.
Logan J
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 11:05 PM   #15
Thanks Logan, I forgot to mention that...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com