Hi! - few things I want to confirm/ask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mulron

Aquarium Advice Activist
First hello, first post here. I have read a lot of the forums here and gathered a lot of information on reefs. I am not new to SW/fresh tanks but I am relatively new to reefs so; here's my questions.

Purposed tank:
125gal
2 55gal sumps
4bulb 78" VHO lighting system
Probably a Berlin Skimmer

1) I know it is 1.5lbs of LR per gal. Does that include the water in the sump? I see people with sumps but it doesn't look like the tank+sump = the amount of LR that I come up with.

2) Lighting? back when I had my tanks up and running MH was brand new. VHO was really the only way to go. I know you would still need either VHO or PC for the atinics side of things but is MH really worth it? I'm leaning towards the a total VHO system just because that's what I am accustom to. There is a nice discussion about lighting but the more I look I see a ton of people with MH systems. Why choose MH over VHO? cost? Do they grow some algae quicker/better? Just "cliff notes" pls

3) Also does anyone have a english to acronym dictionary for fish keeping? I can guess most things because of my knowledge but I know newer folks might have a hard time following advice or threads because they just don't know what a LFS,LR,LS are.(local fish store,Live rock,Live sand)

TIA

1) I know it is 1.5lbs of LR per gal. Does that include the water in the sump? I see people with sumps but it doesn't look like the tank+sump = the amount of LR that I come up with.

Usually its more along the line of the main display tank.

2) Lighting? back when I had my tanks up and running MH was brand new. VHO was really the only way to go. I know you would still need either VHO or PC for the atinics side of things but is MH really worth it? I'm leaning towards the a total VHO system just because that's what I am accustom to. There is a nice discussion about lighting but the more I look I see a ton of people with MH systems. Why choose MH over VHO? cost? Do they grow some algae quicker/better? Just "cliff notes" pls

Lighting is such a personal preference kind of think I dont think there will ever become a hard fast rule where you need specific type of lighting for a specific purpose. An all VHO setup is fine, and all PC setup is fine, A MH + VHO or MH + PC setup are fine. ITs all I guess the look your trying to accheve. Overall MH will give you more light output per square inch than VHO or PC. MH run alot hotter than the florecent bulbs but they also tend to go longer with out replacment. I look forward to others suggestions/viewpoints on this.

3) Also does anyone have a english to acronym dictionary for fish keeping? I can guess most things because of my knowledge but I know newer folks might have a hard time following advice or threads because they just don't know what a LFS,LR,LS are.(local fish store,Live rock,Live sand)

Sure do. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=23 Take a look at that post and if you want there is a Print Topic button at the top just above the first post to get a more printer friendly version.

i have asked a lot of questions on lighting myself-the best advice i can pass on is research the things you want to eventually keep-on my future wish list is an anemone and a clam...so looks like i am should get the mh with either vho or pc...lor

I totally agree with aaron. I love MH and PC's, but all VHO is cool too. If you get MHs you can do just about anything.

I currently am running 4 36" PCs (2 10Ks and 2 Blue 03s) in my 125 gallon and have had good results with the leathers and various soft corals. I also have two 175 watt MHs sitting in my garage because I don't think just 2 MHs in a six foot tank will give off even light, I am figuring I need a third so that I can put the bulbs on either end of the canopy and one in the middle. Is my thinking correct on this or can I just put the two MHs spaced two feet from the sides of the tank and have even lighting. I haven't put them in because my main worry is haveing noticable dead spots in the tank. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

One more thing. If I do throw in the 2 MHs with the 4 power compacts will I run into a temp problem, i.e. need a chiller? With all the bulbs I would total 734 watts of light in a 125 so that I would have about 5.9 watts per gallon, would this allow me for clams and hard corals?

Is my thinking correct on this or can I just put the two MHs spaced two feet from the sides of the tank and have even lighting.

The rule of thumb on MH is 2 foot by 2 foot square. So in that rule, your thinking is correct. You will need 3 MH at 175 w for a 6 foot tank. however, you could put in the 2 right now, on each end and then add the 3rd later. It will increase the light on the ends of the tank and you can start getting things you want to keep under the good light.
After you put in the 3 lights, switch all 4 of the PC's to Actinic and you will have a beautiful light setup. The inhabitants will be well pleased.

If I do throw in the 2 MHs with the 4 power compacts will I run into a temp problem, i.e. need a chiller?

Temp problem depends on how your canopy is setup and how far from the water they will be, Also, the ambient temp in the room. I have seen setups run very good with just a few fans installed in the hood and one in the cabinet blowing on the sump. I would at least keep the 175's 6" minimum above the water line. This will allow for you to have maybe 2 4in fans installed.. I don't know your setup so it is hard to tell. However, keep the things I said in mind and you should be ok. Others may have more to add on this...Good luck

Cool. I built my canopy with 1x10s and all it covers is the top plastic trim so my PCs current sit about 8-9 inches from water level. So you would recommend a fan blowing into the sump and what 2-3 fans in the hood? If so would they all be blowing air out or air in, or some combination there of.

Thanks for the reply.

I took a peek at the lighting links again and by wife likes the way MH(5500K Venture) looks. So I'm starting to do research on MHs with VHO Actinics.

Also is 3 175W MH enough(-minus the Actinics)? Will 175W be good enough to reach 2ft below the water surface? Or should I start looking at 3 x 250W or higher?

TIA-

If you want to keep some of the high light corals then the 250's will be of benifit for you. If your not interested in the high light corals then the 175's will do.

The 5500K's will have a very yellow apperance to them. Personally I prefer the 10K's as they give off a much more white light.

The 175's would be enough however, I would have mentioned 250's but you had mentioned that you had 2-175's already, so I went with what you had. Regardles of if you go with 175's or 250's, you will want the actinics to provide the blue spectrum. Also, they make good dawn/dusk lights. Run them 1 hour before the MH and 1 hour after. The 5.5K bulbs will be rather yellow like FishFreek said, You will probably want to go no less than 6.5K. I like the look of 6.5K with Actinics.

If you get the 250's, you want to sell the 175's? I am looking to add 2 -175's to my tank. PM me if you do.

actually user:craque has the 175s I currently don't have any MHs. :) I am gathering information on what to get once I setup my tank. I just don't know much about MHs and how much is needed. Your advice of 2ft by 2ft area is a good one. I do understand that the 5k is more yellowish but in the [url =http://www.coralreefecosystems.com/ltg_bulb_color.htm]Lighting Page[/url] at least the wife liked how the yellows showed up better. It seemed to make the aquarium more vibrant and clear. Many of the other pictures are more "blue" in color (especially the corallife ones). If these pics are not accurate as to the final product then, I will just have to work from 6k+ on the bulbs. I'll keep researching sites on MH vs VHO.

If anyone has a few links to sites in their favs section. Let me know, it will just save me a bit of time.

TIA-

EDIT: Gratz on your Advisor-ship Timbo

I have taken quite a few pics of my tank and adjusted the camera to get the look I wanted. I did not change the lights. Do not be fooled by the looks on website. However, if you can trust me, I would not recommend anything less than 6500K...JMHO

Also, if you can read a schematic and wire electrical stuff, it is much cheaper to do it yourself.. I know that at electrical supply places you can get 250 watt MH ballasts for around $60 and then $6 for the Mogul Socket, $10 for polished alluminum to make a reflector, and $59 each for the bulbs, $25 for wiring, and $20 for fans, and you save $250 off of what it cost for prefab kits or retro kits...
There are lots of sites with info on DIY for MH lighting...

One thing that has not been mentioned in any of the posts to date that I have read on lighting upgrades is the increased evaporation. The extra heat will add to the evap some, but the fans will really make it take off. The 180 I set up at the eyecare center has 640w of VHO and two 4" fans. It evaps about 3 1/2 gallons a day. That's up from 1 gal every two days when it was a FO with NO lighting and no fans. Something to consider...especially if your tank is in a small room where the higher humidity might be a problem.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom