Hi--I too am putting a refugium together and need to ask

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Good Crab

Aquarium Advice Regular
a question or two.

LIGHTING-

I have a ten gallon plexi tank I'll be using. I have the pump and I have a continuous overflow. I have already buiit all the plumbing and I included a flow control.

I have researched some lighting and decided to go with a Lights of America 65W floodlight. The problem with this is that I am not an electrician and to connect this particular light you have to connect wires and secure with wire nuts to an existing outdoor floodlight outlet. The problem is that I do not have an outlet and need to build one. My question is HOW can this be done? I need suggestions. Do I just purchase one on those orange extention cords, cut it leaving a few feet, splice the wires together and plug it into a wall outlet?

Thanks--

Crabby

Basically, yes. I did something similar with the shoplights on my FW tank. The light came with bare wires, and we just used some wire nuts to hook it to a cord with a plug, and used electrical tape to secure the wire nuts. Just make sure you know which wire is which, and if the fixture doesn't have a ground wire, see if there's a grounding screw on the case to hook the ground wire to.

dskidmore said:
Basically, yes. I did something similar with the shoplights on my FW tank. The light came with bare wires, and we just used some wire nuts to hook it to a cord with a plug, and used electrical tape to secure the wire nuts. Just make sure you know which wire is which, and if the fixture doesn't have a ground wire, see if there's a grounding screw on the case to hook the ground wire to.

Thanks for the reply...

:D

I have the same setup. I just cut the end off of a computer cord and hard wired it together. Do not buy a cord I have thousands. Probably only like 50 cent to ship it.

Back
Top Bottom