Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

hi nitrates!!! what can i do?

im running a 55 gal with 20 gal sump/fuge and cant get the nitrates to go down. im doing 10 gal water changes every other day to try and fight it but am not seeing it go down. i have 3 nems, 4 fish and just started keeping corals in the tank,should i do a bigger wc? as it is 10 gallons gets kinda close to half of the tank. or is ther something i can add to the water or run in the sump that will bring nitrate down? or should i just go for it and do like a 30 gal wc?

my readings today=
sg=1.025
ph=8.2
ammo=0
nitrite=0
nitrate=80

so how big of a wc can i do?
and how long should i wait in between doing them?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you using RO/DI for your water changes? Try cutting down on your feeding and if you're using frozen food, make sure to rinse it well before use.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

More water changes you can either do 50% weekly but I wouldn't go over that
Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i am missing some parts for my rodi system, so im not running it yet. and for feeding im feeding every other day if i remember.

so a 50% pwt is an option?
i was thinking about getting one of those $60.00 travel ro filters off ebay, what do ya think of those?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use aqua safe plus it keeps everything in check for me makes the water very pure and reduces the nitrates in my water, in my case at least (but it is used during the waterchange) hope this helps in any way
Old 03-20-2011, 03:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello, i would suggest minimal feedings for the time being. Very smLl amount every other day for the time being. Its kind if easy to get the nitrates down from 80 to 20 but 20 to 0 is really the hard part. You can get through this. Been there trust me.
Few questions... You said youve been doing 10g water changes and have seen no difference? How many days have you done this. There must be a source for the nitrates. Are you adding any chemicals or additives? If you are i would stop. If you are not using RODI water, test the tap to see the nitrate level of it.

What are you using as filtration? Do you have a protein skimmer in your sump? Any bioballs or rubble rock? Any chaeto?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by six2sevenproductions View Post
Hello, i would suggest minimal feedings for the time being. Very smLl amount every other day for the time being. Its kind if easy to get the nitrates down from 80 to 20 but 20 to 0 is really the hard part. You can get through this. Been there trust me.
Few questions... You said youve been doing 10g water changes and have seen no difference? How many days have you done this. There must be a source for the nitrates. Are you adding any chemicals or additives? If you are i would stop. If you are not using RODI water, test the tap to see the nitrate level of it.

What are you using as filtration? Do you have a protein skimmer in your sump? Any bioballs or rubble rock? Any chaeto?
yup i feed every other day if i remember. i am skimming in the sump, no bio balls or rock rubble, in the fuge i have 2 inch sand bed lots of macro and around 10 lbs live rock. i mixed up 30 gallons of tap water and salt for water changes and tested it after 2 days and it shows zero for nitrates.
and no chemicals or additives
Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello sorry such a late response, i was out of town on business. Sounds like youre in the right direction but i question the sand bed in your sump.

True live sand contains not only the bacteria but the critters which live in it and filter out the sand. Do a little research on deep sand beds. i know i have a link bookmarked on my laptop but i am on my ipad and cannot think of it. Some might question me but in order to have your sand bed working with you, a deep sand bed of 4-6 inches is needed. Usually fine grain sand which is not stirred. There are reasons and levels of a sand bed but i have to find that link. I would remove the sand for now.

You said you have 10lbs of live rock in your sump. How much do you have in your main tank?

Just a side note. Whats works for some might not work for others. What worked for me in my 55g tank was 65 lbs of live rock, 50lbs of live aragonite sand, 20g sump without substrate, aqua-c urchin skimmer, chaeto algea which was equal to two large mcdonalds cups and a ten gallon water change every thursday. I never gravel vacuumed the sand. I never added chemical additives.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

iv got around 70 lbs of live rock in the dt if not more.. sand bed in sump is about 2 inches... and iv noticed the brown algae growing on the sand in the dt, is not growing on the sand in the sump
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long has your tank been running?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com