Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowedToad View Post
WOW! Can I get an update? This is exactly what I am trying to do. The cost of lights is SUPERDUMB! Good luck, by the way my whole tank is DIY except the lights!

Heyyy! yeah it works well. The only thing is there seems to be less 420nm (purple) waves in the car HID bulbs than the metal halides. This promotes green algae growth on the live rocks, Since my last modification (October 20th) a few days ago, The rocks were live with growth, this means there are coraline algae growing on them. The very back piece has a huge purple patch full of small colonies of coraline algae growing. The polyps I had on the rock had already more than doubled in size, I counted 13 round heads growing initially, and now theres about 35 heads or so.

Ive decided to go with a final mod of 96watt 50/50 power compact as that gave more wattage than the dual HIDS at 35 watts each. The other contributing factor that made me change my setup was that the way the light was mounted blocked my view out the window, and trying to open and close the window was rather difficult with the shelf in the way (the shelf was used so I could mount the HID lights onto it).

Another factor was that the HID ballast produced a high frequency hum, this hum was equally loud as the fans on the oceanic biocube.

Anyways, if I were to do this again, I would find a quiet ballast, and a slimmer housing for the HIDS, BTW, any plastic near the HID Bulbs will melt, so you need to use glass.

Best of luck!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am going to try the 12000K lights or maybe even the 15 or 20000K, that should take care of the need for supplimental lighting. They sell the lights only on amazon for $40 per pair of any temp you want. Gool luck to you too and I will post pics of my DIY also.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I am going to try the 12000K lights or maybe even the 15 or 20000K, that should take care of the need for supplimental lighting. They sell the lights only on amazon for $40 per pair of any temp you want. Gool luck to you too and I will post pics of my DIY also.

That higher color temperature sounds like a good idea. That should provide some extra lighting near the 450nm waves, but as you go higher the lumens go down, a 6000K would have 3200lumens while a 10,000k lamp only at 2400 lumens. I dont know what the rating is for a 20,000k but you probably would need to go to a 55watt lamp and ballast combo to get more intensity.

Oh, and your going to love the reflective effects it has just like the metal halides do...
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmmm, I have my OEM BMW headlights sitting in a cabinet.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I saw a website where a guy built a whole hood out of BMW headlights and LEDs, it was pretty cool I wish I could remember the name.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I saw a website where a guy built a whole hood out of BMW headlights and LEDs, it was pretty cool I wish I could remember the name.

please find ittt!! I want to find out how that looks...!:p
Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just saw your post, I will look for it. It looked awesome, he put the leds inside short lenghts of pvc to reduce light pollution in his room.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here is the link to the BMW headlight hood!

Part 1 | LFP’s Xenon and LED Reef Lighting System | glassbox-design.com
Old 11-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I figure that if I just make two lamps with two sets of 35w lights that will give me 140w of light for my 30 gallon tank. A 150W mh light from my lfs is $389. Why are aquarium light companies gouging the average joe just because their light goes over an aquarium. In comparison, I can go to sams and buy a gallon of salsa for $7, but if I go and buy a pint of salsa at walmart that is intended for dip I am gonna pay $3.50. Just a thought, enjoy the site.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow! Hahaha thats better than I imagined. 9 bulbs of various color temperatures sure does the job! Now only if I could have enough space for a larger tank... Oh btw, Im using the HIDS now in a fuge down on the floor, and beside the fuge is another 10 Gallon tank which contains the pump and skimmer and external mechanical in/out connectors. So in total I would have about 30 gallons with a 10 gallon main tank, and 10 gallon refugeium and a 10 gallon misc filtration skimmer pump tank. Yeap! overflow drain is used on main tank, with 700 gallon pump at 0 head pressure doing 400gallon/hour flow from floor to top main tank. Mechanical filter unit takes water from the fuge and pumps it out to the pump/skimmer tank. A 1 inch ID U tube is linked from the pump/skimmer tank to the fuge to close the loop.

Awesome idea eh?

Tags
aquarium lighting, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com